Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Started years ago using regular pool sand and PSI on a clean filter was always about 20... maybe a little above (as I recall). That was also with an older less powerful pump. had a new pump installed a few years ago and starting PSI was always higher after that. Switched to zeo sand about 5 years ago and PSI (clean filter) was always was about 30. This year I changed filter media and am trying a product called Filterglass, which got good reviews online. I put in 200 lbs., as instructions say to put in 20% less than regular sand and TR60 filter calls for 250-300 if using all sand. Starting PSI is now above 30 (about 32-33).

Is this starting PSI to high? Should I remove some of the Filterglass media and is that likely to bring down the PSI? If I allow PSI to go up by 10 before backwashing, it will get to 42. That seem very high. Should I backwash before the PSI gets that high? Right now it is running at about 38 PSI

Appreciate any thoughts on this. All information on pump, filter, etc. is in my signature. Thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply, Keith. Just checked. In Recirculate mode it drops to 20. Suggestions? I sure don't want to have to change the sand I just put in! :(

The filter is introducing about 10 PSI into the system which means the rest of the system is introducing 20 PSI of resistance. That's high. Do you have any valves that might be stuck half closed or any other feature/constrictions that might be causing such a high back pressure in the plumbing?

Razorhog..... sand might not have been the issue, but back then I was pretty clueless about my pool and water never seemed to get real clear, so I started reading about other options and tried zeo sand and kind of liked what it did for the pool.... always seemed a little clearer to me with the zeo sand and I seemd to be using less chlorine. That is what zeo sand claims, by the way..... clearer water and reduced chlorine use. Probably bogus, but what did I know!

So.... after 5 years the zeo sand was ready to be changed (per what I read) and I heard about Filtergalss and thought I would give it a try based on some pretty good reviews about the stuff. Sure would hate to dig that all out now and fill it up again with sand!!!! Not even sure that would resolve the problem.

Keith.... My pool is pretty basic. Only one valve right before the pump on a single skimmer line to hold the water in the skimmer line when pump is off. Not sure if anything could be stuck in that line. Anyway to find that out? Could the pump itself be the problem? The pump was changed in 2013 and I think the guy put in one that was too big for my pool set up. It ran at a much higher PSI after he installed it, even with sand. It was a WF-26 Whisperflo 1.5 HP. He didn't want to swap out the entire pump after doing doing the pvc work, so he started changing out internal parts. My notes on the receipt indicate that the motor was changed to a WF-24 1.25 HP and the impeller was changed to a 3/4 HP. I guess that turned it into a WF-24 1.25 HP pump. The water comes through the one return line in the pool very strong!

So what to do now???? I don't use the same pool service guy anymore because I wasn't happy with his work. Should I have the pump looked at by another pool company and have them change more internal parts to reduce the draw further (is that the right term?) and see if that reduces the PSI?

What about taking out some of the Filterglass media.... maybe 50 lbs?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. BTW...... what is the ideal PSI for a clean filter? Somewhere between 10 and 20 PSI?

So...... replace the gauge and see if I'm getting a different PSI. Headed to Leslie's a little later. Okay to get a gauge there?

Hope that is the only issue. That would be an easy fix. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know Leslie's has an oil-filled gauge also, but I will check the one out on TFTestkits. No real rush as this is the way the pool has been running for a while now.

Thanks again for the help, Dave.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.