Diamondbrite pool that was painted

We discovered after purchasing our older home that the in ground concrete pool had been painted and is now peeling at the deep end with quarter sized circles. I also discovered recently that the pool had originally had a diamondbrite finish that may be around 10 years old now. Can the paint be peeled off or removed and still salvage the diamondbrite (which has probably been covered by paint for at least 3 years) or is it too old at this point and would need a full resurface job?

Hi, welcome to TFP! My guess is they painted to cover up damaged areas of diamondbrite. You could give power washing it a shot, but I don't think you will be able to remove the paint to your satisfaction, and there is a good chance the powerwash would damage the diamondbrite. I would approach removing the paint with the idea that I was probably going to have to replaster. Honestly its probably not worth the effort.

Sometimes structural issues are temporarily repaired but the patch material does not match the old surface. Cosmetically this is very noticeable and can raise a red flag for a new buyer. Masking these issues is easily down with painting. I would ping the sellers and the selling agent about pre-existing conditions or repairs. The peeling is probably the result of of a poor prep job. Also you need the paint brand and type (acrylic or epoxy) to determine how the repair can be done in the future. Also it is advisable to determine the age of the pool.

The pools is original to the house which was built in 1972. We didn’t have direct contact with the sellers at the time and unfortunately became aware during a pool cage estimate after closing that the pool had been painted. As newbies we now know to include a pool inspection as part of a home purchase. The only thing our regular inspector had pointed out was that the main drain had been sealed which he said was not uncommon for older pools due to leaks.