Slam bleach or chlorine?

Jjswat

Jun 8, 2017
Ocean Springs
I am getting ready to start the slam process. I was hoping to get opinion on the most cost effectice way to proceed. Do you reccomend bleach or chlorine to slam? Obviously bleach is cheaper but at 6% is it better to spend more for the 10% liquid chlorine? Thanks

It’s all chlorine! 10% means you have to add less to get the same effect. As long as it is fresh, I would go with the 10%.

Bleach and liquid chlorine are essentially the same thing. Bleach has a lower concentrate (which you’ve already noted). In real world terms it all depends on where you can get the best prices. The slam process will not go slower or faster with either of the two, IMO. It will just make a difference on how much you will have to put in of each one.
I have found some deals on liquid chlorine at a few pool stores around me, and I like to go that route, only because it’s less jugs of that than it is for bleach to do the same thing. (not purely because of the cost)
One suggestion would be to use pool math and see how many jugs of 6% bleach it would take to do what one jug of 10% liquid chlorine can do. Then do the cost vs benefit calculation.
Don’t quote me on this but most jugs of bleach (clorox brand) that I have found, the concentrate is 8.25%. 6% seems low but I guess it all depends on the brand and where you’re getting it from.

One suggestion would be to use pool math and see how many jugs of 6% bleach it would take to do what one jug of 10% liquid chlorine can do. Then do the cost vs benefit calculation.
I just went through this, SLAM'd my big pool to 100ppm. that was a lot of chlorine...
I ended up using 10% chlorine jugs from Lowe's. It was slightly more expensive than bleach, however, Lowe's had the large quantities easily available in cases. The stock of bleach @ local grocery stores is sporadic and I didn't want to deal with that.

I have a membership to Sam’s Club and I get a box of 3-8.25% concentrated Clorox, for approx $9. That price isn’t too too bad depending on what price you can get a single jug for. Around here at the grocery stores it’s about $4 for jug.

Edit: It really depends on availability and cost. The concentrate doesn’t make much difference in the decision. I don’t think so anyways.

Make sure to check the bleach at Costco, Clorox has been switching to 6.25% and they have started adding their Cloromax additive to their products which has reacted badly with some pools.

You may want to check a local pool store if they have 12.5% available it is starting to become the cheaper option if its available.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.