help with first SLAM - mistakes have been made!

May 22, 2018
Decatur, IL
First, I want to preface this by saying I'm very new to pool keeping and I just found this site today.
I will do my best to outline my steps that have led me where I am now. Also note, I've used the pool calculator for my additions so far. You will likely cringe at some of my decisions so far though - lol.

1st - I've been using test strips. Today, I ordered a Taylor K2006 kit. But, it won't be here for a couple days.
2nd - The pool turned cloudy and within 2 days it was a green above ground POND.
I'd been running at FC ~ 5ppm, i don't think it went down even close to 0 because I was staying on top of it. After I saw the pool start to turn from cloudy to slightly green, I added a bag of granular shock. It only got worse from there and continued getting rapidly darker green.
Based on previous reading, I assumed the problem was either pH or CYA. pH is hard to tell on these test strips, but it didn't seem too bad. So, based on the amount of stabalizer I added at the begining of the season, I assumed my CYA was too high. (I added more than necessary because my test strips because even after a week, my test strips don't seem to register much CYA...)

So, I did a 20-25% water change and added liquid chlorine to what I thought was the appropriate 'shock' level of around 10ppm.
Afterwards, a local pool store water sample resulted:
pH: 8.2, TA: 73, CH: 150, TDS: 400, FC: 9.4, TC: 9.4, CYA:78

Based on the store's result page - they flagged TA as my biggest issue. They wanted a range of 125-150!! Knowing that was higher than what I'd seen online or what my test strips ideal range is, I tried to add sodium bicarbonate of around 3lbs to raise it to 90ish. I also thought my pH was high so I was also trying to add enough Muriatic acid to reduce it to 7.4 (which I think was around 12 fl oz).

This morning, I saw a youtube video on the 'SLAM' technique. This pointed me to the CYA/FC chart and I realized my 'shock' level was WAY too low. So I ran home and added liquid chlorine to reach around 31ppm. I then took in another water sample. This time:
pH: 8.1 TA: 76, CH: 160, FC: 15 (maxed the scale), TC: 15, CYA: 74.

Confused that my levels didn't change much from the night before, I chased TA and pH numbers more by adding more baking soda and double the muriatic acid.
I now realize from reading on this site, that 1) the TA range the store gave me is rediculous!, and 2) pH is inacurate at higher FC levels.
Since this morning I've tried to vacuum and brush as best I could although I can't see the bottom. Assuming FC is being used, I've added 1/2 gallon 10% bleach a couple times today - since I have no test kit yet.

Realizing pH tested levels could be way out of wack now that I'm trying to adjust in high FC system, I went and got water conditioner (that you'd use in aquariums - not sure if this is proper procedure or not...) and dechlorinated a little tub of water and used a test strip. my pH MAY be a little low - like arond 6.8, maybe a tad higher. Again the test strips are hard to read.

A few questions:
What should I do? Stay the course for now?
The pool has gone from green to almost brown today. Does the brown coloring indicate better or worse conditions?
Also - curiosity - at what FC levels does pH testing become inaccurate?

You should STOP! Just...STOP!~ Quit haphazardly throwing stuff in the pool without knowing exactly what it is doing. Your ph level now probably scares me the most. You have gotten way far ahead of yourself trying to conduct this SLAM without a proper test kit and obviously BAD pool store advice. Read up on the SLAM in Pool SChool again and wait on a test kit that can give us all proper test results. Welcome.

at what FC levels does pH testing become inaccurate?
10 FC

Understood. A bit harsh.. but deserved, lol. So, it wasn't until after I made many mistakes, did I find and start reading this site's information. I have read the full procedure on SLAM since. After I have the test kit - Step one is getting that pH in check. So I suppose I need to wait until FC registers < 10 before I am able to test pH and start over? Or is there some safer FC I should aim for before testing pH again? Is the water conditioner a safe method for determining pH? If you put in enough to make FC register close to 0, of course?

If it's a swamp it should burn off the extra FC probably by the time your kit arrives, then we can fix the ph--probably use 20 mule team borax if it's super slow. I don't know what you mean by "water conditioner"? Patience grasshopper! We'll get you there.

Lol. 10-4. Patience is definitely a challenge for me! Thank you.

The water conditioner is something people use to condition tap water for fish. It’s primary purpose is to remove chlorine. This is what I did to test pH this evening. I dropped the conditioner into my sample cup until I read 0ppm FC on strip, then tested pH. That’s what gave me the 6.8 pH reading. Looks like test kit doesn’t come until Friday, so I expect FC will be down plenty by then.

Lol. 10-4. Patience is definitely a challenge for me! Thank you.

The water conditioner is something people use to condition tap water for fish. It’s primary purpose is to remove chlorine. This is what I did to test pH this evening. I dropped the conditioner into my sample cup until I read 0ppm FC on strip, then tested pH. That’s what gave me the 6.8 pH reading. Looks like test kit doesn’t come until Friday, so I expect FC will be down plenty by then.

I own fish tanks and I have to admit, that was a genius idea! :mrgreen:

I know you've made mistakes. But you're here now and you have a test kit on order. You've definitely chased your own tail with this one. You should go down to the Coffee Bar and post this in the mistakes thread. Haha

Welcome to TFP!

Don't sweat the pH too much. That's not why your water is green. There's only one thing that causes algae to grow, and that's low FC for your CYA. Extremely high or low pH can be harsh on your equipment, but it's not likely you're in that bad of a shape yet.

Calculate the amount of chlorine to raise your pool FC by 5 ppm and add that per day until your test kit arrives, then post your readings and we'll go from there.

Now you know why we commonly refer to them as "guess strips". They are not reliable. Just wait for your test kit to arrive and run all the test. Then we'll take it from there.

I figured, "agh!... how bad can they really be!? They have decent reviews on amazon..." Lesson learned!

I own fish tanks and I have to admit, that was a genius idea! :mrgreen:
Welcome to TFP!

Thanks! and thanks! :) I'm glad to be here, where people actually know what they are talking about. I'll have to check out the mistakes thread - I'm sure I can contribute on a thread like that! haha.

I just wish the kit would come sooner!! My little man just got out of school and we are wasting some prime swim time!! I think that's really why I've gotten so impatient with this one...

Don't sweat the pH too much. That's not why your water is green. There's only one thing that causes algae to grow, and that's low FC for your CYA. Extremely high or low pH can be harsh on your equipment, but it's not likely you're in that bad of a shape yet.

Calculate the amount of chlorine to raise your pool FC by 5 ppm and add that per day until your test kit arrives, then post your readings and we'll go from there.

Awesome! Thanks! That sounds like a very reasonable/safe way to move forward.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SLAM is done! So I added what should boost FC by 5ppm each day until I received the test kit Friday evening. By Friday the pool was pretty clear. FC was down to 16 Friday evening with a CYA of 70 (28 is my shock point). I used my little water conditioner/dechlorinator trick to test pH which tested at 7.2 and then 7.4 later in the weekend after some aeration. TA tested @ 120 which was much higher than expected. Did a deep cleaning Saturday and brushed and vacuumed all nooks and crannies of our steps.

Saturday night to Sunday morning we dropped 3.5ppm with CC around 0.5. Kept it up through the rest of the weekend, and this morning we had a drop of only 0.5 ppm FC, with < 0.5ppm CC. The reagent to test CC just BARELY turns the sample light pink.

Water is beautiful! - crystal clear and thanks to you guys and the info on this site - I am a happy camper! I will start letting FC drift back down today and get on a more normal routine.

My only 'concern' (if you call it that) is TA being pretty high. What are your thoughts on that? I was planning on leaving it alone unless my pH becomes hard to manage. Of course, I'll double check pH readings after FC drops and maintain regular pH monitoring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.