Please help!! Newbie from Indiana

May 22, 2018
indianapolis
I have begun the dreadful process of opening a pool that hasn't been opened in 2 years and to top it off the cover has been off for over a year. The pool is a 24' 52 round pool with a vinyl liner and Hayward pump that had all new sand replaced this year. Starting off the pool was basically a swamp, by hand I skimmed the debris and funky green algae clumps off the top, then I shocked the pool and started the filter running 24/7. The next day it was a lighter green color, I shocked it again and continued to let it run. I then took a sample into the pool store for guidance. They told me to add 8 gallons of chlorine because it was barely showing any and algaecide. I did this, took another sample in, the ph was high so I added 5lbs ph down, more chlorine and then added a stabilizer the next day per their recommendations. The chlorine level has still remained low it seems regardless of how much I add and about half way down the water is so cloudy I can't see anything. I have constantly backwashed and swept. What can I do here! Please help with any tips or tricks! Also, is there a good product or good algae brush to help the discoloration on the sidewalls for a vinyl liner? Thank you!!

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 28
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 28
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 28
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 28
So let's take a step back. Welcome to TFP!!

You will get that pool sparkly - no problem! Our whole reason for existence is to educate pool owners on how to maintain their pools effectively and inexpensively. The basis of this is owning a quality test kit and doing your own testing. There is a learning curve but it will become second nature I promise. Here is test kit comparison. But for simplicity I recommend the TF-100, XL option and Speed Stir. Order that today so as not to delay.

Test Kit Comparison

Then you should read the following for a high level overview of pool chemistry.

"ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry"]ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Then after receiving your test kit, you will SLAM your pool. This is different from shocking. It's a very specific process and revolves around bringing FC up to SLAM level and keeping it there constantly until all 3 tests have been passed.

"SLAMing Your Pool"]SLAMing Your Pool

Read and ask away.

Important note: Don't have the pool store do any more testing for you. And until your test kit arrives, add a gallon of Liquid Pool Chlorine (high concentration bleach - available from pool store, or plain, non-scented, splashless, non-Chloromax bleach) in the morning and at night. The cloudiness is algae so there is plenty for the bleach to kill to keep the Free Chlorine from rising too high at this point. Run you pump on low 24/7, brush regularly and backwash when filter pressure rises 25% above the clean pressure reading.

I'll simplify the test kit purchase further. Check the boxes for "Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer" and "XL Option".

http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

- - - Updated - - -

To highlight the issue you are having, it's simply not adding enough chlorine to get ahead of the algae. There could be one complication (though it's easy to get past) but we will address that as soon as you have your accurate test kit. It can't be done using pool store testing.

When the water looks like your first picture, it can eat a surprising amount of chlorine. Mine looked like that last Thursday and I went through a gallon of 10% every 15 minutes for almost two hours before the chlorine caught up. But like the others have said, stay out of the pool store, and get a good test kit. You'll be swimming soon! Welcome to TFP.

oh goodness! Thank you guys! So just to clarify I can use regular bleach instead? Is one better than the other? I will order this kit today. Honestly this is just my second time dealing with a pool besides the first year of having it and everything was fresh so it was fairly easy to keep up on that year.

Yes...

Bleach (6-8%) = Chlorine = Liquid Pool Chlorine (usually 12.5%) = Sodium Hypochlorite = NaOCl.

Just avoid any bleach with anything added.