Larger diameter holes for Sand filter pump upgrade (Intex Pool)

May 21, 2018
Boston, MA
Hi,

We are now on our second above ground pool after a small intex pool for the past couple of years.

Just purchased a 15x48 Ultraframe Intex Pool. ALso decided to get a sand filter pump with saltwater system, so went for the Intex 1500gph model.

Opened the filter box and now realize a big error: the filter diameter is much larger than the diameter of the hole in the pool.

I have looked online and see there are 'type b' adaptors available. These simply allow a larger hose to connect to a smaller hole.

Now, my physics lessons tell me that isn't going to make the pump so efficient. So I looked online and found this:

1) Does anyone know of a kit like the above video I can purchase and is it a pretty common thing to do?

2) Or should I not bother and just by a stop-down adaptor kit. If so, how many connections do I need? There are 3 holes in the pool.

3) an aside, but wish intex was a little more obvious with compatibility.

I can’t play your video, but I did the mod on my pool to cut in the larger holes. Your return (the higher hole) may already be 1.5”.

The hardest thing these days is to find the 1.5” fittings! I bought mine a few years ago and they were cheap, but last time I looked, prices have gone up! I will take a peek fir you and see if I can find them at a reasonable price.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, the two lower holes are your suction lines, to the pump. In truth, the two together may supply the pump just fine, even with the stepped down adapter. When I had the 15’ Intex, there was only one suction line.

Looks like these folks have lots of parts: Shop Covers, Liners, Chemicals & Equipment for Your Swimming Pool - PoolSupplies.com

- On my pool I have 3 holes - approx 1 inch diameter.
- In my original filter pump I have 3 parts that go on the inside of the pool. 2x inlet strainers and 1x outlet 'jet' or whatever it is called.
- In my new filter pump I have 1x outlet jet 1.5 inch diameter. No inlet strainers.

So I need to get the following:
- If going the simple stop-down route: 3x 1.5 to 1 inch converters? Or do I need other stuff?
- Or if I go the make a 1.5 inch hole in the pool route: 3x kits to make 1.5" holes in the pool. Plus 2x 1.5" inlet strainers.

No idea if my verbiage is right. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

This was the video I found:

Intex pool upgrade inlet outlet valve - YouTube

So, this is what you need. Like I said, prices have gotten ridiculous.

This comes with a strainer that isn’t fastened permanently, which is good if you want to use it for the return and attach an eye to concentrate the flow of water back into the pool.

But, if your pool is like mine the return hole is already appropriately sized and there should already be a fitting for it, which means if you decide to enlarge the suction holes, you would need two of these instead of three.

Did your pool also come with plunger valves like this, so you can block off the lines if you need to disconnect something, so you don’t lose the water in your pool?

Ok, all the holes are likely 1.25 inches. So if you want to use the 1.5 inch hoses, you’ll either need to use an adapter that fits the current holes and steps up to connect the larger hoses, or you’ll need to cut larger holes and buy 1.5” fittings. For simplicity’s sake, let’s call the two lines and holes that take water to the pump: suction. And the one line that takes water back to the pool is the return.

It’s really up to you. If you want to steer clear of cutting the liner for now, then you would just need the adapters. If you want to increase your flow, then you would cut new holes.

I don’t like that video because he was using hose clamps - ugh! The 1.5” hoses have nuts that screw on, much easier to deal with.

I looked at that site and they do have the Hayward return fitting. They don’t have the suction side strainers, that I could see.

Aha thanks kelly!

WOW those are very expensive.

So I just checked the pool and every hole is 1"

I checked the new filter box and it has a return assembly that looks very much like what you sent me. Includes a rubber gasket in the middle:

28395646388_dc17eb1c0a_k.jpg

My pool didn't have plunger filters, no.

So given what I have above with 3x 1" holes and 1x 1.5 return jet (with what appears to be a rubber gasket), do I:

1. Buy 2x large pool strainers as you showed me?
2. Cut 3x 1.5? (or slightly smaller???) holes with a sharp knife, then screw on the parts? Any teflon seal recommended or anything?

Thank you

I would cut the highest hole to fit the return you show in your photo. Then for now, I would use the two smaller holes as is, with appropriate adapters to step them up to hoses that will fit your pump. Did the pump come with hoses? If not, those are easy to find on Amazon.

I didn’t use plumbers tape on mine. Just use the gaskets as directed.

At some point, hopefully the fittings will be made by more than one company and the prices will come down some!

That’s it! Last time I checked there they were out of stock! So yep, you’ll need two. I encourage you to consider the plunger valves as well. It is really nice to be able to shut down the flow when needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did this last year. I cut in the new returns so they are the proper size. Then i got a nylon hose barb that was i think 1.25 and 1.5. Had to heat up the hoses slightly to get them in but have had no issues with it and only cost a few $

I bought the same intex pump/filter for my 12 foot intex pool. I plugged one of the returns (the two lower holes...I think those are returns bc they return water to the pump??) Anyway, I used the black plug things that came with the pool and original filter/pump to plug one of them. I ordered this from ebay..INTEX ON OFF PLUNGER VALVE STRAINER SWIMMING POOL FILTER PUMP REPLACEMENT 821808405701 | eBay It looks like what you found, only it has the plunger valve (which I ended up not using bc when I used it, I had leaking. I tried two different times and couldn't figure out how to stop the leaking so I gave up and just used the strainer part. The intex sand pump/filter came with the larger intake and I used that.

I then cut the the two holes I was using in the pool larger to fit the new return and intake. Easy to do following all the advice I got on here. Kelly is really helpful and knowledgeable. If you do cut, be sure to get a new x-acto knife so it's nice and sharp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.