Hello from polyvue - Sacramento

polyvue

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2009
Sacramento, California USA
Two years ago I realized a lifetime dream and installed my first pool. After six months of internet research, planning and interviewing contractors I learned much about pool construction. Of course, one never learns enough. But I'm glad I didn't realize at the time how much I would have to learn about water chemistry, hydraulics, pumps, concrete, plaster, electrical etc. OR the two weeks of vacation time I would have to sacrifice in order to oversee the effort! (If I had, I would have bought that BMW I had my eye on and would now be logged into the BMW Drivers forum.)

My advice to those contemplating a pool (and planning to pay a company to do everything that's required): Remember that you are your own General Contractor. Forget what the contract says. You must know about concrete and the other technical aspects of pool construction, and then BE THERE during the critical phases of building. The pool company told me they'd take care of everything. They did, for sure, because I was there to point out mistakes and ask questions while the work was being done. The contractor's supervisors just stopped showing up after a while.

Was it worth it? Oh, yeah. :)

I was happy to find The Pool Forum last year when elevating my knowledge about pool chemistry above that provided by the pool builder (OTO and... "Good Luck!") and decided to join this forum to contribute what I've learned in the past two years and perhaps explore the more difficult aspects of pool maintenance with some of the smart people here.

BTW "polyvue" just means I enjoy observing (and reading about) many different things.

Life is pretty good and always interesting.