filter and auto cleaner

May 6, 2015
Bardstown
I am not the tallest person in the world, so vacuuming my pool from the outside has always been a challenge. we just set up (as in filling while I type) an Intex 12' x 24' pool so I got an auto cleaner to help me out this year. So my questions are: 1. Should I still used a surface skimmer? 2. Now that Intex pools have 3 in and out hoses instead of 2, I reverse my hookup so that I can run that surface skimmer. The auto cleaner also needs to be hooked up to that larger hole as well, but obviously in the outlet position, not in. My sand filter is a 2450gph and I also use a salt water ionizer. I have not yet come up with a way to merger the 2 small inlets into one, but the pool is still filling. Any ideas? We get a lot of pollen so a surface skimmer has always been a must. I also got a solar blanket for this pool which I have been lead to understand helps keep some of the surface dirt down. But how do you get them out of the pool without dumping it all back in there?

Thanks in advance. I know this must sound crazy!

Nope, not crazy. I would definitely use a skimmer. Are you talking about the over the wall skimmer? You can certainly hook that to one of the smaller holes, using the ato cleaner on the larger return. You can either plug the other smaller hole, or use it as additional suction to the pump, joining the skimmer hole and the second hole with a tee. See my set up in photo below, and pretend I have the over the wall skimmer instead of a through wall!

I’m no help with the solar cover... I used to cover mine but here in Florida it stays warm for quite some time (unless we are having a soggy rainy season) and I got tired of fiddling with mine!

0508674A-D4A2-4F10-AD30-2E54ED83B6B3.jpg

Yep, I cut new suction holes... the one for the return was already the right size. As you can see, I plugged one of the holes once I installed the skimmer, and the other one I keep the valve about 1/4 open, just to ensure water flow to the pump if the skimmer gets clogged up.

- - - Updated - - -

These have been out of stock for a while, but they are back! You need these fittings when you cut the holes larger.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.