I'm about to give up and fill the pool....

Seadweller

Aug 21, 2009
Tampa Bay Area
...with dirt and create a nice grassy area in my backyard. First, the numbers:

FC 14
CC 1
pH 7.8
TA 80
CH 400
CYA 70

Despite almost perfect chemical balance, I continued to get algae in my pool. Testing the water daily, my FC never dropped below 6 until a recent incident where the pump didn't run for 3 days (no salt generation of course). I ended up with FC at a 2, and of course had a very light dusting of algae in the pool. I decided to tackle this once and for all and did a SLAM. At the time of the SLAM, CYA was at 50, and I kept the FC at 26 or higher. The pool passed the OCLT with flying colors, and was sparkling Friday morming. I left on Friday for a couple of days, with the FC at 26 and CC at 0, and restarted the SWG at a setting of 50% to ensure the FC's didn't fall too low while I was away. To my surprise, I walked out to the pool this morning to find light algae spots on the walls, and a light dusting on the floor.

Can it be anything else other than circulation and/or pump run times???? The pump is running 8 hours per day. How can I have algae with an FC of 14???????? The weather has been cloudy for a week now, so the pool is getting only partial sun.

I don't have the time or patience to deal with this through the summer. Is it possible I'm not getting the turn-over needed to filter the entire pool? I've read that 100% turn-over is not necessary, but what else could it be?

As you can see, I'm in dire need of HELP!!!:confused:

Are you brushing? You may be having a circulation problem.

Did you check behind lights and ladders for any hidden groves of algae?

How long did your SLAM take? Are you confident in that CYA number?

Anytime your pump is off line, toss some bleach in there and mix it up. Do it daily and you should be okay.

Maddie :flower:

It could possibly be pollen too settling to the bottom of the floor. Is it green or brown? Keep up the SLAM, whatever is on your floor you can either vac it to waise and waste a little bit of water, or try putting a hairnet or skimmer sock over your skimmer basket and might be able to absorb what your vacuuming off the floor.

To answer some questions:

1. Yes, I've begun brushing the pool regularly.
2. The only accessory in the pool is the light, but I haven't been able to remove it.
3. I started the SLAM last Tuesday, and passed the OCLT Friday morning before leaving.
4. It's definitely algae, green in color. There are spots on the walls, and a light dusting on the floor in patchy areas.
5. I'm as sure as I can be of the CYA level.

I just can't imagine it's a chemical balance issue, as it just doesn't make sense. And, checking the pump, I'm actually running it 10 hours a day, not 8. Essentially, it runs from sunrise to sunset.

Try it again. See if you can pass the OCLT.

Well, I passed the OCLT again this morning. CC was .5, and I ran out of R-0013, so can't retest CYA, but have some on order.

Aside from a hiccup with the pump (I forgot to hit start when I reprogrammed it), my chemical balance, on paper at least, has been perfect since I installed the salt system, yet algae continues to appear even after a successful slam.

1. Is it really possible that algae behind the pool light is causing this?
2. Is it possible I'm not running my pump long enough (10 hours)? Or at perhaps too low a speed?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.