Perpetually turbid pool

Lazers

May 11, 2018
Perrysburg ohio
My wife & her fellow swim coach have been ISR instructors for the past year using our pool.

The pool sees circa 30 ++ babies & toddlers per day and I'm having extreme difficulty getting rid of the turbidity.

It's a 5,000 gal indoor pool with a starite cartridge filter & 1/2 hp pump.

My pool guy is so busy he can't even give me a solution other than to say get a new filter and pump.

HELP !!!! I need some recommendations ASAP. Next month we go up to over 45 kids per day

Lazers

We don't really cover commercial here, because you'll be bound by State regulations. It might be worthwhile checking bather load limitations in those regs.

But in a nutshell, to merge Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC) with commercial, reduce CYA to a level that works within your free chlorine limits. If you don't have CYA now, add about 20 ppm. Install a dosing pump so you can add liquid chlorine continuously during high bather load and such that it holds 3 ppm FC or whatever your maximum allowable is. (or install a salt water chlorine generator, less work in the long run, same outcomes)

Replace your cartridge(s) and use the original one(s) as a spare for quick swapping. Maybe/probably run the pump longer hours than you've been doing.

I suspect you have a ventilation system, but if not, regs or not, it's needed.

Here's a thread that explains TFPC really well: TFPC for Beginners
Best test kit for TFPC: TF-100 Test Kit â„¢
And likely of interest: Chloramines and FC/CYA

Thx for the feedback.
I actually solved the problem over this weekend. One of your fellow TFP members recommended the use of Super Blue Clarifier. I poured in 6oz on Sat morning and nothing seemed to happen so I closed up the pool. On Sunday I opened it for my kid and was amazed to see the pool was absolutely crystal clear. I hosed down the cartridge filter and milky white residue ran off. I'm guessing it was oil or lotion that the coaches use to protect themselves from the chlorine that was causing the turbidity. Is there a test for this?

Anyway thanks for your input

Lazers

Thx for the feedback.
I actually solved the problem over this weekend. One of your fellow TFP members recommended the use of Super Blue Clarifier. I poured in 6oz on Sat morning and nothing seemed to happen so I closed up the pool. On Sunday I opened it for my kid and was amazed to see the pool was absolutely crystal clear. I hosed down the cartridge filter and milky white residue ran off. I'm guessing it was oil or lotion that the coaches use to protect themselves from the chlorine that was causing the turbidity. Is there a test for this?

Anyway thanks for your input

Lazers
That, I don't know. But if the lotion is oil-based, get a couple scumballs and throw 'em in. They'll just float around in the skimmer and absorb any oils.