Starting my conversion...8/21/2009

I am following your progress! It seems that there still may be some green on the bottom of my pool so I may convert next weekend. I was curious though...... should you have been adding more bleach yesterday? Or is it better to stick with only the calculated amount? It would seem to me that if you put in more than the calculated amount during the conversion that you would get to where you needed to be quicker! I am going to buy bleach today at wal mart in preperation for my conversion.

It would seem to me that if you put in more than the calculated amount during the conversion that you would get to where you needed to be quicker!
There can be some negative side effects with too much chlorine.

Like medicine, the right amount is good for you. Too little is ineffective and too much can cause problems.

duraleigh said:
It would seem to me that if you put in more than the calculated amount during the conversion that you would get to where you needed to be quicker!
There can be some negative side effects with too much chlorine.

Like medicine, the right amount is good for you. Too little is ineffective and too much can cause problems.

One of those problems can be damage to the liner and the pump.... ALWAYS stick to the correct amounts... You can check and top off every hour and that will help speed the process but i would never go over the recommended amounts...

well I wrote a post but don't know where it went...oh well.

I think I read where Jason said you can add "one right after the other" or like every 15 minutes. Does that give it enough time to mix good and get a good reading.

Pool has cleared a little.

9:15am
FC 11

10:10am
FC11.5

10:40am
FC13.5...going to boost back up

Deb

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi,..ok I think I understand the over night test?? Let me see if I have this right....I thought you had to shock to 15 and then it couldn't be below 14 the next morning. According to what I read....after the sun goes down, and at least 30 after your last chemical addition, test your water and record THAT number (may not be 15) ,don't add any more chemical. Check the next morning and compare to the number you recorded the night before..(may not be 15).Is this correct?

Also, I understand that your number drops over night because of algae of other contaminates. I know I want change my filter until the chlorine holds to 1ppm or less drop over night. My question is I bought new hoses because mine have this slimy stuff in them.I don't know if that is mold or what.Should I go ahead and change the hoses? I didn't know if what ever is in the hoses may keep eating up my chlorine.

Thanks so much my pool is looking good. It looks better now than it has in a long time and I'm not even finished!!!!

Deb

Yes, you can go ahead and change the hoses if you like, that may help.

You do understand the test correctly. The LAST test after any bleach addition is the one that is compared to the morning's test, and yes, it may not be 15. :wink: 1ppm loss and you can change the filter media.

It sounds like you have the overnight test right. It doesn't matter what your FC reading is at night it just needs to be no more than 1 less than that the next morning before the sun hits the pool.

You posted on the 23rd at 8:40 pm an FC of 12, then you posted on the 24th an 8:15am reading of 11 FC. If you didn't add anything after the evening reading the 23rd you're getting really close to being done. You need to run the test one more time and also post the CC's this time too.

As for the hoses, since you already have them and you're almost done, you might as well change them.

Thanks Bama Rambler...(are you from Alabama) I am!!

I noticed that also..but I did go back to 15. I really don't think mine is finished, the water is still not sparkling clear.

I've got to read up and the cc levels.Not sure I understand that yet.

Thanks,
Deb

Yes I am! :mrgreen: Just north of Mobile.

It's much better to keep the FC up until you're sure rather than let something get growing again if you let it fall.

If you're using the FAS-DPD kit once you add the R-0870 & R-0871 to get the FC you then add 5 drops of R-0003 and if it turns pink/red you add more drops of R-0871 till it goes back clear to get CC's. Only count the drops you add after the R-0003 and multiply times .5 for CC's. If it stays clear after adding the R-0003 then you have zero CC's

I'm in central Alabama north of Bham,

I've done the cc test once just to see how it works.So I want my cc to be 0..right.

I have one more question..(yeah right)..lol If I do the drop test at 5:30am and it is less than 1ppm,can I wait until 8:00 am to add the CYA? I just need to read some more..

Thanks,
Deb

The Requirement is for .5 or less CC's.

Sure you can. It's going to take a while for the CYA to dissolve so just keep an eye on the FC especially the first day. You don't want it dipping below the min level cause the sun will eat it up quickly until the CYA has time to have an effect.

I have the CYA level at 50ppm in our pool and I lose a little than 2ppm FC per day. We have full sun from about 8 till 6 every day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.