renovation of kidney shaped pool

Aug 20, 2009
I am about to embark on a renovation of a 36 year old Sylvan concrete kidney shaped pool. It is about 32x16 - slightly wider in the deep end. There are 2 skimmers, 2 main drains and two returns. The skimmers are being replace as well as all of the plumbing. I want to relocate the return lines as they are currently located directly underneath the skimmers ('elbow' directionals attached to returns). I am doing this for better circulation. So, where is the best place to locate the returns assuming that my skimmers will stay where they are. The skimmers are on the lobes of the kidney. Not sure how to really describe it - here it goes, if the kidney were to stand up, where the two parts touch the ground is where the skimmers are.

I am not limited to just two returns perhaps three. There is also a small extension in the shallow end that has steps. I was thinking of something to improve circulation there as it seems to have dead spots there.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to TFP!!

What I would do is place 2 returns directly opposite the skimmers, one in the center of the reverse radius that separates the lobes and 1 in the stairs (preferably on the 'non lobe side') This will separate your pool into 2 areas, each covered by 1 skimmer, and force debris into the skimmers while allowing more circulation in the stairs. (I drew a picture of the setup I suggest, if you'd like me to post it - let me know and I'll upload it to photobucket and post it here :cool: )

I would have the 4 returns on 2 lines, plumbed so that the pressure from each is ~ equal.

If you need any help on the layout or plumbing them to all be ~ equal, we'll help :wink:

Thanks for joining us! :goodjob:

Ted,
Thanks for the reply. We have not started the work yet. We had to take a tree out because of a huge hole (rotted branch) and will need to have another trimmed and cabled as it is trying to split itself apart. Oh the joys of home ownership. But back to the pool.

I think I understand what you mean. There would be three returns on the wall opposite the skimmers. Two would be directly opposite and another would be in between. Then we would have one in the step area for circulation. That sounds similar to what the pool renovation folks were talking about. Currently we have two main drains both are clogged. The proposal is for closing the shallow main drain and putting the code compliant (>36" parallel) main drain in the deep end. I don't see a problem with that at the moment. Oh, also they will put a polaris return on the wall between the skimmers.

I just got my TFP kit earlier this week and tested the water. I am still learning about the chemistry. I am not sure about the CYA test yet. Mine tested very high (>80). I know some pool store told me to put some in during the summer. But I am still not sure when the black dot is really invisible.

It is approaching the end of the season (NJ), so it is not too important I suppose, but I really want to keep the chemistry up when the new surface is installed. I guess I need to keep the pool open for another couple weeks after.

Thanks again for your help!

Kurt

Kurt, happy Labor Day :cheers:

I certainly understand the problems one can encounter with buying an older house :rant: :lol:

Sounds like your pool dudes have a pretty good grasp on what will need to be done :goodjob: If you have any questions about what they propose to do or how, let us know and we'll give our opinion on things :cool:

I grew up in Tenafly (Bergin county) NJ - are you anywhere close?

For the cya test, try doing it in the shade so that you don't confuse the reflected shadow of your head with the dot :wink:

I wish you well with the pool rehab and will be here to help if you need it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.