Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool zero chlorine 180 Alk

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool zero chlorine 180 Alk

I have a new 18x37 vinyl liner pool. We filled it with well water. We started filling it 6 days ago and it has been full for 3 days, now. It has zero chlorine. There has been no chlorine put in it except 2 tabs to the skimmer basket and 2 tabs to the auto chlorine feeder. I bought bottles of bleach today. My alkaline is 180 and my PH is 8. I had the water tested at the pool shop. She wants me to shock it. I bought the bleach and I'm coming here first. Will the bleach decrease the alkaline, too? It has zero iron and zero copper, but some phosphates (sorry I don't remember how much). Sorry, these are the only numbers I can get for now.

We have a saltwater generator due to come in on Monday. What is a good test kit for use after I get the saltwater system? It is an Aquarite.

Is this enough info for you to tell me what to add and if I need to shock with supershock, like the pool store suggested?

The water is not green and the pool is not slick on the bottom. It is a little cloudy, but not terribly so. We have been running the pump 24/7.

We have not been in it, yet. We are anxious to swim before time to close it up.
    Donna
    18X37 Grecian Vinyl Liner, X-Stream Slide, 1 1/2HP Hayward Pump, 3/4HP Polaris Booster, AquaRite SWG, Jandy AE3000 Heat/Cool, Jandy Deck Jets, 4.0 Colorlogic Light, Polaris 280 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool zero chlorine 180 Alk

You need to lower the PH down to 7.2 and raise FC up to around 5 this evening. Each time the PH goes over 7.8, lower it back down to 7.2.

Then tomorrow you need to start raising the CYA level. With a SWG you want CYA to be around 70 to 80, the low end of that range will be fine since it is the end of the season.

Getting a top quality test kit, like the TF100 or K-2006 is the best bet.

Bleach will not help, or hurt, the alkalinity.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have 5 containers of 6% bleach and a bottle of "super shock" from the pool store.
    Donna
    18X37 Grecian Vinyl Liner, X-Stream Slide, 1 1/2HP Hayward Pump, 3/4HP Polaris Booster, AquaRite SWG, Jandy AE3000 Heat/Cool, Jandy Deck Jets, 4.0 Colorlogic Light, Polaris 280 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

You want "stabilizer" also might be called "conditioner," either way look at the ingredients, you want it to be Cyanuric Acid 100% (or close to 100%). It helps keep chlorine from being burned off by the sun. And read up some more in Pool School (big button on the upper right of every page on the site).
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi and welcome,

What is the active ingredient listed on the bottle of "super shock"?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

It is Calcium Hypochloride 68% (Available Chlorine 65%). Thanks!
    Donna

7. Back To Top    #7

It has a long shelf life, you can keep it on hand for a time when you need to raise the FC rapidly.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com