Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to change?

1. Back To Top    #1

When to change?

I am definitely going to convert from Baqucil to chlorine..just have to decide the best time.Right now my pool is in really bad shape.I can't even see the bottom of the pool. I would really like to get it cleared up before the season ends, but I would have to wait on test kit.Would it be best to wait until I open it up in the spring and all of the Baq is gone and the weather is cooler?

I can't figure out how to use the pool calculator either.

Thanks,Debbie
    27ft AG .cartridge filter, 2.5HP Waterway pump,17,500 gal
    27' 17,000 gal, AG,cartridge filter, 2.5 HP Waterway 2 speed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to change?

Welcome to TFP.

IMO, the best time to convert is during the cool weather after the season or before the season. Where you live and how much swimming season is left can help you decide.

If you order the TF100 Test Kit tonight, I'd be surprised if you don't have it by midweek, or the end of the week at the latest.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

At this point, since your pool is not in good shape, I would go ahead and do it as soon as you get the test kit. The thought of leaving a pool in a mess and it will get messier the longer you leave it and will be a breeding ground for all sorts of things just makes me cringe.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Debbie and welcome to the forum

There are some instructions on the Pool Calculator in Pool School - link in my sig and at the top of each page.

If you still have problems, please post your questions.

Many of us have had some head-scratching times with it
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

i would encourage you to convert as soon as possible. i fought with the baq
    for years before converting. my only regret was waiting as long as i did. start now
    and in two weeks , you'll be very glad that you did.
    24,000 gallon ig fiberglass pool
    1 hp hayward pump
    hayward sand filter (250 lb)
    madisonville, ky

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks so much for the reply's. I must warn you.I may ask more question than anyone in the history of this forum.LOL

7. Back To Top    #7

ok..first question ..how do I get my Signature at the bottom? without typing it everytime.

Thanks
    Debbie

8. Back To Top    #8

Take a look at the upper left corner of the page and Just under the big TFP oval there's a link to the user control panel. Go there and fill out your signature and it'll show up on your posts.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

ok..I've decide to start.I'm going to the pool store to have my water tested. I was reading a post about someone draining their AG pool. Is that an option? I thought it would hurt your pool liner or maybe collapse your pool.Is their a safe way to drain..I would love that.

Thanks Debbie

10. Back To Top    #10

A small above ground pool can be drained, but a large one should always have some water in it. You could replace a bit more than half the water if you wanted to. That would speed up the entire process. Depending on how much you pay for water, it doesn't usually save any money.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

here are the results of test
    Sanitizer and Algistat....43

Oxidizer......40...I added a gal yesterday before I decided to go ahead with convertion

TA.....88

PH....7.8

and my pool is so dirty I can't see the bottom. I think I will vacuum to waste..if I can figure out how to do that w/cart filter. I also think I am going to drain some pool water and see if that will lower numbers. Thanks for all the support..I am going to need it.

Should I think about getting a sand filter ( would have to be in the spring, because of cost) ?

12. Back To Top    #12

One more question before I order my test kit. Should I order any extra testing (stuff).I am the kind of person who will do a lot of testing and will add bleach regularly. Should I test every hour if I put bleach in every hour? I think I am beginning to understand after reading more posts. Also which test kit is best?

Thanks so much..I'm excited
    Debbie

13. Back To Top    #13

When doing a baquacil conversion you will want at least one extra bottle of R-0871. Other than that you should be fine. I remember one conversion that used more than two bottles of R-0871, but most of them are right around one bottle, maybe a little more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks Jason,

I vacuumed to waste today and am draining some water trying to get my Baq numbers down before starting.Well I 'm putting water in at the same time..I'm afraid to let it get too low. Do I need to have my numbers checked again after adding water?

Going to order kit tonight.

Thanks,
    Debbie

15. Back To Top    #15

Really you only need to know your pH before starting. There is a great article in Pool School in case you haven't seen it: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ine_conversion

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

16. Back To Top    #16

while I'm waiting on my test kit I'm still cleaning my pool .I had an algae problem and didn't clean like I should have because I was so frustrated. I thought I would ask a few question while I wait. I had the PH tested and it was 7.8 but I have since drained some water and added more..so I'm guessing I need to have it tested before starting the conversion? and if it is lower than you recommend do I raise it?

I think I understand the shocking... raise to 15....test...bleach ...raise to 15 until it holds for 2 nights with out dropping more that 1ppm...(that means down to 14?) when that happens I add CYA to 30ppm..(does the calculator tell me how much to put?) and change filter? Then you maintain 15FC until CC's are less than 0.5 2 days in a row. So what do you do to get the FC levels to 3-7?

Also do you have to add the borax?

Thanks,
    Debbie

17. Back To Top    #17

Borax is optional. I suggest you don't even think about it till after the pool is converted and everything is going smoothly.

The first step in the conversion is to balance your PH to between 7.2 and 7.4. So you either need to get the water tested again, or wait till you test kit arrives, or buy a cheap interim test kit.

On the overnight FC loss test, you are waiting till the loss is 1.0 or less. So if you end an evening at 15.0 and the next morning the pool is at 14.0 or 14.5 or 15.0 then you are done with that phase of the conversion. Just at first the FC level will fall to zero very quickly, so this isn't something you need to think about for a couple of days.

Once the FC loss is 1.0 or less overnight, you change the filter media and then add CYA. Doing the filter before the CYA is important.

I am not sure I know what you meant by "So what do you do to get the FC levels to 3-7?" FC falls fairly quickly. So if it is 15 now, it will be much lower tomorrow. So if FC is too high, you wait. If FC is too low you add chlorine.

18. Back To Top    #18

Jason...thanks for your reply. I go the 3-7 FC from the chart recommended levels. When it gets to 15..where do I try to keep it? and I making any sense?

Thanks,
    Debbie

19. Back To Top    #19

No, not quite making sense yet.

During the conversion, you measure the FC level and raise it enough to get up to 15. The whole 3-7 things does not apply.

After the conversion is totally complete: you measure the FC level and raise it enough to get to around 7, and hope that it doesn't go below 3 before the next time you add more chlorine.

Does that make any sense?

20. Back To Top    #20

LOL..Jason..I think I get it. I was assuming it would stay at 15 I guess. ok going to quite worrying about it until time to worry.

Thanks,
    Debbie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast