Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat Pump Issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat Pump Issue

Our pool was installed in October of 2017, however, due to the weather our pool equipment wasn't installed until 3 weeks ago. It was cool on the day of the installation, so the heat pump would not work. It has been in the mid to high 60's a few days and they heat pump still displays an error code LP. Shouldn't the heat pump be able to operate with an ambient temperature of 65 and water temperature of 55?

The pool builder who installed my pool, buys everything from royalswimmingpools.com, so technically the pool builder was the purchaser of the equipment and Hayward states that the original purchaser and location are covered by the warranty, non-transferable. Does that mean I could get the builder to file the warranty claim, or do you think I am stuck with repairing it at my own cost?
    18x36 (+22,000 gallon) IG, Vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp Single Speed Hayward Pump, Hayward SWCG, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Heat Pump
    Automatic Pool Cover - Fall 2017 Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat Pump Issue

It doesn't work that way. As long as the heat pump was purchased new by the PB to install for you. It is yours. Hayward will see it that way. Which 1 do you have? They generally should work above 50. Just as it gets warmer it operates more efficiently. Did you look in the book to see what the code means?

17,000 gal 20' x 34' Polymer freeform pool, All Hayward products: Aqua plus 16v w/ SWG & Aqua connect, Summit 140k btu heat pump, Tristar VSP 1.85HP, 1 Universal Colorlogic light, 1 320 Colorlogic light, 1 4' lighted Sheer Descent, 2 Pentair Magic Bowls

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the Heat Pro 110,000 btu. HP21104T. The LP error code means there is an airflow blockage (which there is not), low ambient temperature (65 outside), or low coolant pressure and to contact a service dealer.
    18x36 (+22,000 gallon) IG, Vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp Single Speed Hayward Pump, Hayward SWCG, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Heat Pump
    Automatic Pool Cover - Fall 2017 Build

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine is the 140. But I just looked up yours on hayward website. Minimum operating temperature is 50. I think maybe it's a coolant low pressure issue. Contact hayward. That's what i would do.

17,000 gal 20' x 34' Polymer freeform pool, All Hayward products: Aqua plus 16v w/ SWG & Aqua connect, Summit 140k btu heat pump, Tristar VSP 1.85HP, 1 Universal Colorlogic light, 1 320 Colorlogic light, 1 4' lighted Sheer Descent, 2 Pentair Magic Bowls

5. Back To Top    #5

It sounds like your heat pump is low on refrigerant or a sensor is bad. Its definitely a warranty thing if its brand new and never been run. If it is low refrigerant push really hard for a brand new replacement and don't let them repair it.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help