Thinking about getting a new AGP.

May 22, 2014
Newmanstown PA
So in 2009 we had a 24' round pool installed and used it quite often until about 2013 when my job took me away from home a lot. Since then the multiple winter covers have been destroyed and with the pool seeing no use for the past few years, it just got darker and darker; not sure what's living down there :) About two years ago instead of having my wife and kids continue to visit the local pool in the summer months I figured I'd fly home and get the pool ready and pay someone to maintain it for me. That didn't happen, even with an oversized filtering system I just couldn't get it cleaned within the two weeks I had to visit. So, we wrapped it up again. This summer, now that I'm home for good, I wanted to open it and try to get it going again, but I worry about the liner being prematurely worn due to lack of cleaning, etc., plus my wife doesn't feel like she wants to swim in it, even if we get the water crystal clear. Honestly, I can't really blame her.

I've looked into purchasing another liner and with the costs near $1,000 ish* with installation, I'm considering just purchasing another AG, more so because I see 33' rounds online for maybe $1,200 more than we would spend on the liner. This doesn't include pump and filtration as I believe our current setup should be more than enough to push the extra water. With that said, is there any online place that you all recommend? We purchased our pool from NAMCO in 09' and I really don't think I want to go back there. There are 2 local pool stores, but they will only handle the install since their money comes from in ground setups.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Judd

Lack of cleaning shouldn't effect the life of your liner. Only really low PH below 7.2 for a period of time or the liner being exposed due to a low level of water and drying out. Other than that........you'd be totally amazed at the number of pools on here that have gone from a solid black cesspool to a sparkling gem again. It's kinda what we do! I invite you to see our SLAM procedure in Pool School and order one of our recommended test kits.

Although I am new here, I have been reading the site very closely, and I do not think you need to replace the pool. The liner might be in great shape, but even if you find it is not, a replacement may not be too much trouble and $1000 is quite high for less than a days work (excluding filling and skimmer placement). When it comes to changing to a 33' pool, you will most likely have to have the ground regraded, leveled, and so on. Then the pool bonding loop will have to be redone. If the local pool companies will subcontract the install, there is a risk it may not turn out well. I had a swamp in the AGP when I bought my house (pool not opened in 2 years, branches had broken through the cover) and it was not long before the water was cleared up, and I replaced a lot of the water over a longer period of time - and this was using a pool store and regular chemicals. That was 12 years ago. I suspect that the TFP methods will get your pool sorted out more quickly and with fewer and better chemicals.

I would give your existing pool a chance and a bit of time. Perhaps if the existing liner is ok, perform some partial drain and filling cycles so that your wife knows some fresh water is in there. You could also tell her that public pools are often pooped, peed, and snotted in, full of skin flakes and every other nasty (haha). Clean it all up and have fun!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.