Drained pool - new results. Help

ABC12

Mar 24, 2018
Florida
So all my levels were pretty good in the past except the CYA was 96-100. So I drained pool about 40-50% and refilled. Then there was a huge rainstorm for past few days.

New results:
FC: 3.5
CC: 0
pH: 8.0 (2 drops of R-0005 got it down to 7.6)
TA: 100
CH: 300
CYA: 70
Salt: 1600

Also my SWG is reading 92% now. Is it possible that it is changing on it's own? It's a pool pilot digital autopilot system

- given recent rain the pool is a few inches higher than normal. Do I have to pump out or it's okay to leave it?

Please help with next steps.

Remind us please... is your water clear? No chance of algae? If so, then your numbers only highlight a couple areas: lower the pH to the mid 7s and perhaps increase the salt level. Watch the FC closely and don't let it drop much further. In fact, you should raise it a couple ppm to about 5.

Now if you have any algae or cloudiness that would require a SLAM, then it's a different scenario (pH to 7.2, use bleach to SLAM at an FC of 28).

I don't recall which scenario fits best for your pool. Season's picking up. :)

Pool appears crystal clear.

How does this sound?
1) add 13 oz of 31% muriatic acid
2) Increase the run time of the SWG
3) how much salt needs to be added?

I do nothing with the TA and CH? I assume lowering the pH will help with the TA.

Thanks!

(Any thoughts on the autocorrecting SWG? or the elevated pool level?)

1 - I'm on the run at the moment, but use the Poolmath calculator to confirm dosage amount to lower pH from 8 to 7.5; if that's 13 oz - perfect.
2 - Pump run time should help - yes
3 - Same as #1; the calculator should help with that one. Verify your SWG salt minimum as well. Many SWGs have a salt light indicator as well (not always perfect).

Get those dialed-in before worrying about the others. Your CH was close and TA should lower a little during the pH treatment. If the pH is fairly stable, there is no need to worry about the TA. For the water level, if it's not flowing into or over any coping/gaps at the top edge of the pool, or completely covering your poolside skimmer, you should be okay. I'm not familiar with your Pool Pilot automation, so I'll have to let someone else give you some ideas on that one.

1 - I'm on the run at the moment, but use the Poolmath calculator to confirm dosage amount to lower pH from 8 to 7.5; if that's 13 oz - perfect.
2 - Pump run time should help - yes
3 - Same as #1; the calculator should help with that one. Verify your SWG salt minimum as well. Many SWGs have a salt light indicator as well (not always perfect).

Get those dialed-in before worrying about the others. Your CH was close and TA should lower a little during the pH treatment. If the pH is fairly stable, there is no need to worry about the TA. For the water level, if it's not flowing into or over any coping/gaps at the top edge of the pool, or completely covering your poolside skimmer, you should be okay. I'm not familiar with your Pool Pilot automation, so I'll have to let someone else give you some ideas on that one.

How do I figure out what my salt minimums are?

Can someone just review the amounts of each chemical to add. Don't want to mess it up.

Also based on TFP I read the recommended chemicals. The Salt that is recommended is $35 vs $5 at Home Depot. Is that because it's not as pure there?

You definitely want the cleanest/purest salt you can get which is why certain brands (i.e. water softener salt) is recommended, but it shouldn't be $35 a bag. The concern about low grade salt is that it can have iron or other impurities that can cause problems later. We'll check you dosage numbers shortly.

The best thing to use to raise the salt level is water softener salt. Look for salt that is 99.4% pure or better and doesn't have any rust inhibitor or other additives. The best choices include Diamond Crystal® Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals in blue bags, Morton® White Crystal® Water Softener Salt in blue bags, or Diamond Crystal® Sun Gems® Crystals Water Softener Salt in yellow bags.

Water softener salt pellets will also work, even though they dissolve more slowly they are still fine. Pool salt is also fine to use, but tends to be much more expensive. Potassium chloride will also work, but you need 17% more of it and it is more expensive. Avoid table salt, rock salt, and deicing salt.

One salt example HERE

So for your numbers, I used the Poolmath calculator and compared your numbers in post #1 to where should be and go the following:
PH - To lower from 8 to 7.5 is 21 ounces of 31.5% strength muriatic acid.
Salt - To increase salt to about 2,500, that comes out to two 40lb bags of salt.

If you aren't seeing the same results in the Poolmath Calculator, ask all the questions you need so that we can get you comfortable with its features and using it on a daily basis. Hope that helps.

So for your numbers, I used the Poolmath calculator and compared your numbers in post #1 to where should be and go the following:
PH - To lower from 8 to 7.5 is 21 ounces of 31.5% strength muriatic acid.
Salt - To increase salt to about 2,500, that comes out to two 40lb bags of salt.

If you aren't seeing the same results in the Poolmath Calculator, ask all the questions you need so that we can get you comfortable with its features and using it on a daily basis. Hope that helps.

UPDATE!

I rechecked the numbers, based on decreasing pH from 8.0 to 7.4, I added 23oz of 31% Muriatic Acid and you told me two 40lb bags to get to 2,500, so I purchased four 40lb bags. When I got home and checked the SWG they recommend 3000 and based on previous reading on TFP I added 200, so with the goal of getting to 3200, I was supposed to add five 40lb bags, but since I only had 4 I added those and figured I'd wait to check the levels today. After adding acid and running pump, I added the salt bags with pump off and brushed them around to dissolve. Left pump off for 24 hours and turned it back on for 1 hour today before checking my levels.

TODAYS LEVELS:
FC: 4.0
CC: 0.0
pH: 7.0 (took 3 drops of R0006 to get it to 7.2)
TA: 80
CH: 290
CYA: 80
Salt: 3400

Temp 84, SWG 92%

My plan: add 34oz soda ash, and 200oz of Calcium Chloride, increase SWG runtime to get FC closer to 6
Thoughts on my plan? Recs for where to buy good soda ash?
Why did I overshoot the salt and pH? If anything numbers should be lower given my water levels are high from recent rain so my pool has probably closer to 16,000gal

Having hard time figuring out the SWG, seems like it adjusts the % on its own.

Overall, thank you all... I can feel that I'm getting closer to being totally comfortable with this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your numbers are looking much better. :goodjob:
Why did I overshoot the salt and pH?
This could be a number of reasons. One of the most common is that we find our pool actually isn't quite the capacity we though it was. That's another reason we caution folks who have large numbers to change to go in phases or multiple doses and not do a large chemical move at once - especially in the beginning. Too many variables. But you're doing good. Your pH is a little low, but you could just aerate or watch it for a day or so to see if it climbs. PH usually does. You're not too far off on the CH. In some parts of the country our water is so hard it increases quite fast with refills, but in your area a small addition might be best - especially if you get lots of rain. As you continue to experiment with the SWG % and/or pump run time, you'll eventually find that sweet spot. Nice work! Soon you can remove the "POOL NOOB" from your signature. :) Maybe replace it with a TFP Supporter. :wink:

Soon you can remove the "POOL NOOB" from your signature. :) Maybe replace it with a TFP Supporter. :wink:

This is all thanks to you guys. This is hysterical, the thought literally crossed my mind about an hour ago to buy the app. With the new house and pool (aka money pits), we have been trying to be a bit more frugal. But given how much I'm saving not paying my pool guy... I'm sure I'll be a "supporter" soon, but not sure how quick I'll be to take the "NOOB" label off

Seriously, thanks again for all the help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.