LED color changing fixture recommendation

Apr 5, 2018
Carrollton, TX
I'm getting ready to replace my old 120v incandescent light fixture (PoolStar PLH-100-5) with a color-changing LED fixture. My existing fixture has water in it, so I think it's probably time to replace the entire unit, as opposed to just the bulb. In addition, our pool was resurfaced last year with Aquabright (ecofinish) in a Mediterranean blue color, so when the old white light is on, it turns the pool to a not-so-nice puke green color. :)

I was wondering if anyone out there has previous experience with a particular brand or model, and can help make a recommendation on a solid replacement choice. I called INYO and they said the Pureline PureColor (PL-5831) and Pentair Intellibright color changing fixtures will fit my niche. Anyone familiar with either of those, and have any feedback to share? Or is there another make/model you might recommend over these?

Doesn't need to be fancy, as I don't have any kind of automation, etc. But I want something that will last, and has some color changing options that compliment the pool finish. I'm thinking LED is probably the way to go if I'm going to replace the entire fixture.

Any insight or recommendation you can provide is appreciated. Let me know if further details, or photos of existing fixture are needed.

I replaced our existing 120VAC light fixtures with a 12VAC Pureline PureColors (PL5821 & PL5841). Being just about 4 months old, I cannot vouch for its reliability but we love it. The standard E27 socket LED bulb inside the fixture is replaceable without breaking the bank. You can set to static color of your choice. Red is the weakest, though!

Here’s a crippled YouTube video clip. I don’t have drone but a crappy cellphone cam just to give you an idea. In the real world, they’re bright enough for us without turning our backyard into a Helipad. I like the smooth transition effect of the PL5841 in the Spa. Unlike the PL5821 in the pool that goes dark in between.

Last edited:
I would probably recommend replacing it with another standard incandescent fixture and just using an LED replacement bulb. I spent over $500 on a Pentair Intellibrite color LED fixture and it lasted just under a year. I won't waste my money on one of those again.

Reactions: TrippW
Based on this feedback, and some other info I found online, I'm going to take you guy's advice and purchase an incandescent fixture and just install the color LED bulb. I like the idea of easily switching back if needed, and not locking in to an expensive replacement if the color LED bulb doesn't last.
I appreciate all the helpful advice and insight!

I would probably recommend replacing it with another standard incandescent fixture and just using an LED replacement bulb. I spent over $500 on a Pentair Intellibrite color LED fixture and it lasted just under a year. I won't waste my money on one of those again.
I couldn't agree more! The Pureline PureColors I got is a standard Pentair Amerlite pool incandescent fixture. I replaced the pre-installed incandescent bulb with LED color changing bulb that was shipped separately.

So sorry to hear about your unpleasant experienced with the 5G intellibrite.

Based on this feedback, and some other info I found online, I'm going to take you guy's advice and purchase an incandescent fixture and just install the color LED bulb. I like the idea of easily switching back if needed, and not locking in to an expensive replacement if the color LED bulb doesn't last.
I appreciate all the helpful advice and insight!
Junior, last night I captured a short video clip of the pool lights using my cell phone cam. Not the best but better than a crappy pin-hole cam. The youtube link from my previous post was updated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.