Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: World Record?

1. Back To Top    #1

World Record?

My wife and I were out picking oranges in the backyard and came across this morphed citrus...

The orange on top was placed for reference. I've never seen anything like before. I estimated the measurement at 9" in diameter and went inside to research the world record. Turns out it the Guiness world record for an orange is 25" set in 2006. I measured ours at 25.5" and I'm not even sure I got the widest point. I cut myself up pretty good on the thorns so not going back in real soon. The thing is still green and growing, so we'll see how big it gets.

Just thought I would share. Unfortunately, there is no prize money for setting world record so no fame and fortune.

FWIW,

Mike.
    18,000 Gallon, In-ground, Black Marble Pebble-Tec, 3 hp Pentair Intelliflo VS, Waterfall/Rockslide (run by Pentair 2 hp Whisperflo), 40K SWCG, Quad 80 DE Filter, MasterTemp 400-BTU Heater, Borates, TF-100 Kit, Speedstir, Poolvergnuegen 4X Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: World Record?

Any chance that you have gamma rays being radiated nearby?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

I wouldn't know...I rarely take off my tin-foil hat.
    18,000 Gallon, In-ground, Black Marble Pebble-Tec, 3 hp Pentair Intelliflo VS, Waterfall/Rockslide (run by Pentair 2 hp Whisperflo), 40K SWCG, Quad 80 DE Filter, MasterTemp 400-BTU Heater, Borates, TF-100 Kit, Speedstir, Poolvergnuegen 4X Pool Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Please observe your wife and neighbors very carefully over the next few days for any type of strange behavior. I've seen this kind of thing before...

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 7.25.34 PM.jpg
    12300 gallon IG pebble, freeform 19x28, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, no floor drains, auto fill. Pentair: EasyTouch PSL4, ScreenLogic2, Indoor Control Panel, Intelliflo 2 VST, IntelliChlor IC40, IntellipH, CCP320 Cartridge Filter, MasterTemp 250 Heater, Rebel Suction-Side Cleaner, IntelliBrite. Solar and cleaner actuators. Heliocol HC-50 8-panel solar heating. FlowVis Flow Meter. Taylor: K-2006 and K-1766 Test Kits, SpeedStir. City/softened water.

5. Back To Top    #5

Note: Tin foil isn't sufficient to stop gamma rays. I recommend lead or gold at a minimum of 1" thick.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Holy smokes, that’s like the Mr T of oranges!
    ~Rob
    11,000 gallon in ground plaster pebbletech finish. Hayward Tristar VS, Hayward Swimclear, and Hayward Aquanaut 200 pool vac, K-2006 Kit, Speedstir.
    FC/CYA Chart-Finding a suction side air leak>https://youtu.be/eweIDTnJCUw

7. Back To Top    #7

It's roughly the circumference of my head. The photos really don't do it justice. I'm just wondering how much bigger it will get.

8. Back To Top    #8

P.S Nice old school movie reference there Dirk!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~Rob
    11,000 gallon in ground plaster pebbletech finish. Hayward Tristar VS, Hayward Swimclear, and Hayward Aquanaut 200 pool vac, K-2006 Kit, Speedstir.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Arizonarob View Post
    P.S Nice old school movie reference there Dirk!
    Oh, good, at least somebody got it! Man am I old!!
    12300 gallon IG pebble, freeform 19x28, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, no floor drains, auto fill. Pentair: EasyTouch PSL4, ScreenLogic2, Indoor Control Panel, Intelliflo 2 VST, IntelliChlor IC40, IntellipH, CCP320 Cartridge Filter, MasterTemp 250 Heater, Rebel Suction-Side Cleaner, IntelliBrite. Solar and cleaner actuators. Heliocol HC-50 8-panel solar heating. FlowVis Flow Meter. Taylor: K-2006 and K-1766 Test Kits, SpeedStir. City/softened water.

10. Back To Top    #10

Look closely at where it's growing. If it's not on the same branch as that oramge, it's a Citron. Citron is the primitive citrus fruit from which the rest developed, and they use the root stock and graft onto it. If the roots sent out a citron branch, cut it off, or else it will take over the tree, and Citron is mostly rind and pretty tasteless.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Look closely at where it's growing. If it's not on the same branch as that oramge, it's a Citron. Citron is the primitive citrus fruit from which the rest developed, and they use the root stock and graft onto it. If the roots sent out a citron branch, cut it off, or else it will take over the tree, and Citron is mostly rind and pretty tasteless.
    Ha, so I was right. It is a body snatcher!!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Oh, good, at least somebody got it! Man am I old!!
    Nah, not old, just a light patina.

I saw that movie when I was younger, I love all those cheesy syfi/horror movies. Spaceship flying by on a string! So good.
    ~Rob

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Thanks Richard. But for the purposes of the world record, let's keep that on the down-low