Multiport Valve won't Close What to replace?

mettius

Jun 25, 2012
Austin, TX
I have a Pentair 261055 multiport valve.

Last two times I've went to put it into "closed" setting to clean the DE filters it was being very difficult. Yesterday I couldn't get it to work at all.
Filter setting works fine, but when moved to closed it doesn't (close). Water endlessly chugs out the drain port of the filter housing. (Quad DE).

Am I looking at having the multiport unit cut out and a new one replaced, or would one of these kind of kits likely correct the problem?
Pentair 261055 Multiport Valve Repair Kits on Sale at YourPoolHQ
I think I've seen "top valve kits" as well, but my google-fu is failing to find one for that part number.

Help. :)

Ahhhhh! :hammer: My computer is giving me a fit and I can't open your link. But if you are able before cutting and replacing, you might see if you can remove the top to your multiport valve and inspect it. The spider gasket might be pinched preventing a good rotation of the valve. You probably have some O-rings in there that might need some silicone or replacement. Some valves have a spring as well that can get loose, but not so sure that would impede rotation. The others items might though, so you might get by with a relatively simple repair. Just a thought. Someone else who can open that link or has personal knowledge of the valve on your Pentair might reply as well.

Not sure how to get the water to stop gushing out if I open it up. If I just close the skimmers and drain returns will that do the trick?
Ideally you should have some shut-off valves before and after the filter. Much like in my pool set up at my equipment pad (see My Pool link below). That would isolate the filter. If for some reason you don't have a valve on one side or the other, then you would need a way to plug the plumbing ports at the end to keep water from getting pulled in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.