Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White flakes in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

White flakes in pool

Hi All, Recent member who is from the Sarasota, Florida area. Have had four pools over the years and have experienced quite a few of the problems that others have described. Right now I am finding a large amount of white flakes coming into the pool. I am figuring that it must have something to do with my SWG (Auto-Pilot), not salt returning, more like calcium. Look forward to your thoughts and suggestions.
    8 K pool, cc 100 filter, Auto-Pilot SWG, 1 HP Whisper-Flo pump, in-ground gunite pool 9 yrs. old,solar heat and Pentair 250K heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White flakes in pool

Hi can you please post a full set of test results so we can advise better?

Also a little history of the pool, how old is the pool/equipment.

You can create a signature for your specs/equip - Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

Welcome
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Little white flakes

Topics Merged by Moderator

I have asked this same question, but did not get any response. For me, the flakes are quite heavy in the pool and do not reflect the simple answer of the cell simply reversing polarity and cleaning itself. There is a large amount of flakes in the spa and pool which I can net up. They do not go away and the calcium level is within limits. No one has offered a feasible explanation. Please explain your situation. Thanks
    8 K pool, cc 100 filter, Auto-Pilot SWG, 1 HP Whisper-Flo pump, in-ground gunite pool 9 yrs. old,solar heat and Pentair 250K heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

jaybo500, there are a couple of simple tests you can do to narrow down what might be causing the flakes. The first is to put a couple of drops of muriatic acid on a flake and see if it foams up or not. If you want to explore this more, you should start your own topic and ask about it there.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jaybo500
    I have asked that question previously, however I got no response.
    Hi jaybo500 and welcome to the forum

The response you received was to ask you to post a full set of test results.

This request is in the first article in Pool School under "Read This Before You Post".

If you will provide this info, you will get good advice and ideas.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!