Furniture the good, the bad, and....

Howdy all,

We've finally finished the patio on the pool and we are starting to explore furniture for the patio. There are so many options and price ranges. We aren't opposed to spending a little extra to get lasting quality, but we are full sun and in SW Missouri about 40 miles N of Arkansas - our winters are rather mild, but we get snow, and our summer comes quick (usually), we also get heavy thunder storms out this way too.

We are asking for input from y'all, some of you have been there done that and we are hoping to avoid getting the wrong furniture. Our patio is brick, we have a tanning ledge where we'd like to put some lounge type chairs and our patio is about 1500sq ft so a few tables with chairs and some outdoor carpets too. As always any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I've accumulated many Tropitone pieces over the years. Crazy expensive, and worth it. Most of my pieces are going on 18 years old! They're powder coated welded aluminum. They have a ton of styles and colors. At the time of my purchase, they included a 15-year sling replacement offer. I took advantage of it a few years ago and got all new slings. And the originals were actually fine, but the offer expired at 15 years, so I snatched it up. Didn't include one umbrella, which is still going strong at 18 years old! I expect this furniture to last another 15 years, probably more. There are a few spots of paint chipping (talking a half dozen small ones), but for the most part the paint looks brand new.

Key was selecting Sunbrella material for the slings. I don't know what they're makin' that stuff out of, but it is bullet proof. Spend less on the frames if you have to, but get Sunbrella if you're going to leave them in the sun.

Oh, almost forgot. The first 15 years they all lived very near the ocean, subjected to salty air that took a Home Depot outdoor set apart in one year. So my Tropitones have been torture tested!

Skippy and I purchased Trex furniture. A little pricey so we bought a few pieces each year until we got all we wanted. A lot of different styles, Seriously sturdy and weather proof.
Trex® Outdoor Furniture™ | Stylish, Comfortable, Durable Outdoor Furnishings

For the tanning ledge I would suggest some simple plastic loungers.

Maddie :flower:

I just looked at your link. Beautiful stuff. Similar crazy prices as my Tropitone. Nice 20 year warranty on the Trex. Ya git whacha pay fer!

We have the basic coated/painted aluminum pool side furniture. Its held up well for us. Do spend a bit more on getting Sunbrella type of cushions - I think they make a big difference and worth it.
We also have a deck-side box we store the cushions in when not in use which I'm sure helps. And we have covers for the off-season to help protect the tables and lounge chairs.

We just got a bunch of PolyWood furniture for our beach condo. Its a bit pricey but don't predict having any issues with that either for a really long time!

I looked at covers, but then decided I didn't want to look at covers! My weather here is nice enough that I use my furniture throughout the year, so wouldn't want to hassle with uncovering or dragging out cushions. Covers and storage would greatly increase their lifespan, though, for sure. Something for the OP to consider, based on their local climate.

Ha, so far the reoccurring theme here is "pricey!"

We bought furniture covers from The Cover Store online and have been really happy with them. We purchased from the 3-year warranty line called Elite and are just coming out of our 3rd year. They look practically brand new. Most of the furniture pieces (simple Hampton Bay Spring Haven, plus some 20 year-old teak pieces) are covered while stored in their normal places under the pergola. The 2 covers on furniture outside the pergola area are slightly weathered.

Granted, we don't have anything close to a harsh winter here, just a lot of rain if we're lucky. But I would say the covers have been worth the investment and have helped keep the furniture looking "new".

Thanks everyone!! I’m amazed at the variety and quality available. We’ve never had a big need for outdoor furniture outside what your out of the box hardware stores provide until we built the pool. My fear is replacing everything every other year as I imagine the furniture will get used much more.

We seem to be gravitating towards Telescope. Is anyone familiar with their furniture?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.