How to clean worm stains from pool plaster?

miles267

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Sep 5, 2016
Arkansas
Unfortunately, like many places, we’ve had significant rain. Has resulted in excess works in pool. Haven’t allowed them to sit for very long on the bottom. Luckily have been able to vacuum, scoop and scrape them from plaster quartz bottom surface though there are a few areas where they’ve left faint, brownish stains.

Can anyone recommend a way to clean these stains without having to drain the pool? Have SCUBA equipment, so can swim to bottom with a brush if necessary. Not sure how I can apply chemicals this way if at all.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Another option is to take a chlorine tablet and rub it on the stains and it should lighten up pretty quickly. That scuba equipment would definitely come in handy for that. That's the only thing I use chlorine tablets for, the occasional organic stain that shows up. It clears up fast.

My current CYA has gone down to 5.0 ppm so a high FC wouldn’t last very long.
CYA tests start at 20 ppm so not sure how you got 5.0 ppm

Regardless, raise your CYA to 40-50 in anticipation of warm weather and then run your FC about 10 ppm or so.....brushing every couple of days on the stains and they'll go away. If you have just a very few stains, then DeanP66 has a good idea with the tabs. I am guessing you have a lot so the elevated chlorine will be less work.

Thanks Duraleigh. Sorry, yes, my CYA is 50 ppm. My error.

Don’’t have a lot of stains, but a few spots that I’’ve noticed. What tabs would you use? Else I’’ll raise my FC to 10 and brush for a few days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If for any reason after a few days the stains don't resolve and appear orange-ish (eg. From the iron in decomposition) since you have gear you could also use a bit of granular ascorbic acid (vit c) in a dishwashing wand right on the stain. But wait and see...if its mostly organic it will likely resolve without doing anything.

^yes, that's my "go-to" metal spot treatment...but I only have a mask and snorkel so have to hold my breath ;)

To the OP, if you end up needing to do the wand approach, I neglected to mention that I mix the ascorbic acid powder about 50 percent with water to ensure it flows when I press the sponge part against the stain.

Thank you all SO much for the ingenious solutions. I’m starting w FC. Will resort to ascorbic acid when the season starts and the water is warm enough. I’m not brave enough to throw on a wet suit this early! [emoji28]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.