Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OK, Now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

OK, Now what?

I tested the water last night after another round of green cloudy water and I think I have good numbers. I tested again this morning and the chlorine is holding steady overnight at about TC 5, PH 7.4, alk 90 and CYA 40. As far as I can tell these numbers look good. My question now is how do I maintain this with the BBB method? 1 -2 bottles of bleach how often? one bottle daily/every other day? Borax daily/ or as needed to maintain PH level? and when should I add baking soda?

above ground, vinyl liner, approximately 28' round, sand filter, 15,000 gallons +/-

Thanks, bamagirl
    5300 gal. AGP Doughboy 2006 Model COPPER CANYON
    Vinyl 16'
    17" sand 1.5hp
    Tiger River Sumatra 300 gal. Spa

2. Back To Top    #2
    With a CYA of 40 ppm your target FC is 4.6 ppm. Your just a bit above this, so for today you're ok, assuming it's all FC. You just listed TC. How are you testing?

You need to test FC daily to get an idea how much you are losing daily, then add just enough bleach to get replace this amount on a daily basis. Presence of CC above .5 ppm indicates the need to shock.

Your PH and alk look good, so you don't need to do anything about them except monitor them every few days, PH moreso than Alk, and only address them if they drift out of range. DON'T add borax on a daily basis. You might not need it ever. I never have. Of the BBB, I only need B, bleach

Same goes for baking soda.

If you keep your FC up to target levels every day, your pool maintenance life will get very simple

Good luck.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: OK, Now what?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamagirl
    I tested the water last night after another round of green cloudy water and I think I have good numbers. I tested again this morning and the chlorine is holding steady overnight at about TC 5, PH 7.4, alk 90 and CYA 40. As far as I can tell these numbers look good. My question now is how do I maintain this with the BBB method? 1 -2 bottles of bleach how often? one bottle daily/every other day? Borax daily/ or as needed to maintain PH level? and when should I add baking soda?

above ground, vinyl liner, approximately 28' round, sand filter, 15,000 gallons +/-

Thanks, bamagirl
    Since switching to BBB three months ago, I have not added anything to my pool except chlorinating liquid and muriatic acid. Well, that and bathers
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)

4. Back To Top    #4
    And just to add, the acid is only when PH drifts up in range, like 7.8ish