Opinions Needed - Grout Colour

riley00dog

Gold Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I have posted this question in my thread, but am looking for as many opinions as I can get. I have been so definite about everything I’ve wanted for the pool... until now. For some reason I’m finding choosing the right grout colour for our waterline tiles very difficult. I think because the colour can really change the appearance so drastically.

I have attached a few photos. The pre grouted sheet is in Manhattan (our tiles are the rectangular version, they only had the square version pre grouted). I think it comes down to whether or not I want the tiles to pop (in which case I’d say a darker colour, such as medium grey, would work better) or to be subtly blend (which the Manhattan does). The Manhattan does throw a slight almost purple tinge, not necessarily a bad thing. I was considering the silver grey, but in some samples it looks quite white. I went in to the supplier today and am even more confused now. Would be much easier if there were a choice of two! I’m leaning towards the Manhattan purely because I can see the end result and I don’t hate it. Struggling to picture the others. Hours of internet searching isn’t helping either.

What do people typically prefer? Grout that blends or grout that contrasts? I realise it’s a personal preference, but any advice would be very much appreciated.

35828e2ce33ae9ba9c5f6e9dff36df5c.jpg
08a89f8779e660c4f47908cd0b64b1fc.jpg
13b1d13565ee9dba13e30ce5ee944e2f.jpg

I really dislike contrasting grout colors. It tends to highlight the grout rather than the tile. I would go with the grout that most closely matches the tile. Your lower right in your picture group looks the best.

It doesn't have to match perfect but you want it to compliment rather that contrast with the tile.

I agree. Just hard knowing how it will look. The swatches don’t give a great example as there’s so much colour, but in reality it will be thin lines of colour. It’s the medium grey 112 that you think will work best? That’s what hubby likes and I also think could work well. A couple of shades darker than the Manhattan. Hopefully not too dark though. That’s my only concern with the medium grey. Reviews seem to say it’s quite light.

A lot of people like that contrasty look of dark grout on a light tile. Nothing wrong with it it's all personal taste. I know a lot of people that regretted it though. I don't know anyone that regretting the matching grout. It also tends to look dated almost immediately. When I see it I think "70s". Peace in the family is the most important thing! Make sure to post pics of the pool we love builds here!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A lot of people like that contrasty look of dark grout on a light tile. Nothing wrong with it it's all personal taste. I know a lot of people that regretted it though. I don't know anyone that regretting the matching grout. It also tends to look dated almost immediately. When I see it I think "70s". Peace in the family is the most important thing! Make sure to post pics of the pool we love builds here!!

Thanks. It definitely is a personal preference, just not sure what I prefer... for once! I have a thread going for my build and had posted this question there too. My hubby wants the medium grey, which apparently paler than it looks on the swatch. Going to try and get my hands on a small bag over the weekend and grout my sample. This decision will really affect the overall look of the pool. Plumbing was meant to be today and waterline tiles tomorrow but no action today due to rain. Hopefully this means I have the weekend to think more. Just to clarify, was your preference on the swatches the medium grey - bottom right?

Thanks. It definitely is a personal preference, just not sure what I prefer... for once! I have a thread going for my build and had posted this question there too. My hubby wants the medium grey, which apparently paler than it looks on the swatch. Going to try and get my hands on a small bag over the weekend and grout my sample. This decision will really affect the overall look of the pool. Plumbing was meant to be today and waterline tiles tomorrow but no action today due to rain. Hopefully this means I have the weekend to think more. Just to clarify, was your preference on the swatches the medium grey - bottom right?

On your first set of 3 samples, the lower right one with the pale grey grout.

Picking the grout color from the 100s of available colors was so difficult for us. The pool builder said "just talk to the tile guys and let them help you decide" - so we waited until the day they installed the tile. They had several different colors in the van and the guys discussed what each one looked like after drying - based on their experience actually using the product. It was very helpful to have their experience instead of a paper sample that may or may not look the same. Given the earth tone of your tile, I would try to match it as close as possible. The team who installs your tile will know best which grout they have will match.

Picking the grout color from the 100s of available colors was so difficult for us. The pool builder said "just talk to the tile guys and let them help you decide" - so we waited until the day they installed the tile. They had several different colors in the van and the guys discussed what each one looked like after drying - based on their experience actually using the product. It was very helpful to have their experience instead of a paper sample that may or may not look the same. Given the earth tone of your tile, I would try to match it as close as possible. The team who installs your tile will know best which grout they have will match.

The tile shop said the same thing. Just concerned our tiler will come when we’re not here and apply standard cement coloured grout. I’m definitely over thinking this. The current rain isn’t a bad thing, at least I have a bit more time to decide. Which colour grout did you get end going with and what is your waterline tile like? Are you happy with your choice?

The tile shop said the same thing. Just concerned our tiler will come when we’re not here and apply standard cement coloured grout. I’m definitely over thinking this. The current rain isn’t a bad thing, at least I have a bit more time to decide. Which colour grout did you get end going with and what is your waterline tile like? Are you happy with your choice?

Our waterline tile is a focal point for the pool. Trouble Free Pool

If the picture doesn't show, Google "NPT Casablanca cobalt full deco".

Our tile guys recommended, and we chose, Platinum Gray grout. It closely matches the blueish gray in the flowery design around the outside of the tile.

Our waterline tile is a focal point for the pool. Trouble Free Pool

If the picture doesn't show, Google "NPT Casablanca cobalt full deco".

Our tile guys recommended, and we chose, Platinum Gray grout. It closely matches the blueish gray in the flowery design around the outside of the tile.

I googled your tile and it’s beautiful. Definitely would be the focal point of pool. I can picture the platinum grey blending well. I think part of the problem I’m having is identifying the colour of the waterline tile to start with. All I can think of is natural! Going to pick up a small bag of a couple of samples after work if I can and grout our sample sheet. Fingers crossed the tiler doesn’t come today!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.