Correct Chlorine levels in Salt pool?

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
I have a stabilized salt water pool. What free chlorine level should I be aiming for? The test kits often say to aim for 1-2ppm, but I find the pool doesnt look as clear unless it's at 3+ ppm. If I let it drop to 1ppm it loses clarity. Maybe there's something else wrong?

I haven't been monitoring combined chlorine so that could be an issue. I'm buying a FAS PDP test kit to start monitoring this.

I suggest you read the Pool School articles on this site and do a little studying. This thread is a bit older but it shows how TFP is lightyears ahead of the pool industry -

Certified Pool Operator (CPO) training -- What is not taught

Thanks. I'll do that. I thought I had some understanding of chemistry, but clearly I'm wallowing in ignorance.

This site reminds me of when Homer joins the secret society and they give him the real emergency phone number - 912

You know what's crazy, go to any major site that sells anything like pool supplies, leslies, lowes, even angies list and look up what the recommend for pool maintenance. You will see everywhere they recommend FC levels that are too low and to compensate they recommend to shock your pool weekly. It's unbelievable that people are doing this all the time.... Another thing that's crazy is almost everyone I know uses a chlorine feeder that adds consistent CYA to their pools. So in no time at all the CYA is too high for the recommended FC, and after any lengthy period of time even FC of 20 isn't enough, and only draining the pool will really straighten things out. This is considered normal pool maintenance.

Unfortunately, the recommendations that come with pool equipment are not adequate for keeping a pool open and consistently clean. FC at a minimum of 7.5% of CYA is only very, very gradually getting recognized, despite it being 45 year-old science. Equipment manufacturers just parrot the typical pool industry numbers.

When a pool is stabilised, roughly 95% of the chlorine is tied up with CYA, and not active. The other 5% is the active chlorine, including hypochlorous acid (HOCl) which is the active sanitiser and sometimes called the "harsh" part of the chlorine. Drinking water here in Sydney is around 0.7 ppm FC (never any CYA of course), and the HOCl is 0.22 ppm. In a pool with FC at 7 ppm and CYA at 70 ppm, there is 0.04 ppm HOCl (about 1/5 as "harsh" as the drinking water). (both compared at pH 7.8)

You need roughly 0.02 ppm HOCl to prevent algae from gaining a foothold, and around 0.01 ppm HOCl to control target pathogens. Most of the pool industry merely says to keep CYA under 100 ppm and FC at 1-3 ppm. Those conditions are dead wrong and ineffective, because the HOCl level is 0.003 ppm at 1 ppm FC and 100 ppm CYA, which is why people end up having to "shock" weekly. The pool chemical and general pool industry appears to be reluctant to share the correct information, probably because it would hurt overall chemical and other sales.

Luckily for us here in Aus, we're in front. A good source is a chlorinating liquid label (see below). Pool chems here are regulated by the Australian Pesticide and Veterinary Medicine Authority (APVMA), and label information needs to be supported by science. CYA is recommended to be kept from 30-50 ppm, and the label refers only to minimum chlorine levels (2-3 depending on temperature), plus there are higher recommended levels for clearing algae. There's a few things that could be better on the label, but at least with respect to FC-CYA, the numbers are reasonably compatible with TFPC recommendations.
Aus Chlorine Label.jpg

Drinking water here in Sydney is around 0.7 ppm FC (never any CYA of course), and the HOCl is 0.22 ppm. In a pool with FC at 7 ppm and CYA at 70 ppm, there is 0.04 ppm HOCl (about 1/5 as "harsh" as the drinking water)

Wow. So high FC isn't necessarily harsh? I was working under the assumption that anything over about 5ppm was really harsh.

I had no idea the conventional wisdom was so crude.

I really need to read the pool school articles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA is great stuff at the right level :)

The concentrations of the various forms of chlorine reach an equilibrium quickly, so that when HOCl is used up doing the sanitation work, more is released from the CYA, so it's always there for sanitising. When free chlorine gets too low, we replenish it, and CYA grabs most of it, ready for the next time it's needed. So the FC attached to CYA acts like a reserve and buffer.

When people experience what they think is the harshness of chlorine, it's usually when active chlorine has been too low, and too much chloramine is created (motel pool smell), or indoor pools with no CYA when the active chlorine is high enough to (e.g.) wear out the elastic in swimmers, or to form a lot of chloramine on their skin by combining with sweat. The smell that people typically call "chlorine smell" is chloramine, not chlorine which has no smell to it. A pool shop guy demonstrated it me this way... open a brand new jug of chlorine or bleach and sniff it, and there's zero odor. Now stick a finger in it, smell your finger and you'll detect "bad pool smell" because sweat (which contains ammonia) combines with chlorine to form chloramine.

Pool school is very helpful, and if you want a deep dive on chlorine and CYA, this thread has all the FC/CYA detail covered in the first few posts. I think I read it ten times before it made sense for me! Pool Water Chemistry

That's also pretty well known. Without allowing anything for FC losses from oxidising organics, FC on it's own in sunlight in your pool water has a half-life of around 40 minutes, vs. around 8 hours with CYA in the water from about 30 ppm CYA on up.

You know what's crazy, go to any major site that sells anything like pool supplies, leslies, lowes, even angies list and look up what the recommend for pool maintenance. You will see everywhere they recommend FC levels that are too low and to compensate they recommend to shock your pool weekly. It's unbelievable that people are doing this all the time.... Another thing that's crazy is almost everyone I know uses a chlorine feeder that adds consistent CYA to their pools. So in no time at all the CYA is too high for the recommended FC, and after any lengthy period of time even FC of 20 isn't enough, and only draining the pool will really straighten things out. This is considered normal pool maintenance.

Best way to make money selling solutions to a problem, is to ensure there's a problem in the first place. Set the building on fire so you can come to the rescue to put it out. Just look at the cigarette industry, putting chemicals into the cigarettes specifically to make them more addicting, so people buy more and more of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. So high FC isn't necessarily harsh? I was working under the assumption that anything over about 5ppm was really harsh.

I've swam in my pool when the FC was at 12ppm (raised it to shock levels when I went out of town for the weekend and it was still falling back down to my target of 7ppm) and I didn't notice anything unusual about the water, no harsh taste or smell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.