Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FAS-PDP chlorine test kits in Australia?

1. Back To Top    #1

FAS-PDP chlorine test kits in Australia?

I'd like to SLAM my pool. The instructions here say a wide range FAS-PDP kit is needed to measure FC and CC.

Australian Pool shops don't seem to have these. The only one I could see was a Taylor 2006 kit (online) which costs hundreds of dollars.

Any recommendations? Should I buy from overseas?
    50,000L, IG (in ground), Concrete/marblesheen, 40 years old, Sand filter (Zelbrite media), Davey PM Eco (1600rpm), SWG, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit, solar (25m2 tubes, Davey wisper 500 Boost pump), Zodiac vx50 robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FAS-PDP chlorine test kits in Australia?

You're have to wait for the others from your area to go into detail but I'm pretty sure clear choice labs is what they buy down under
    -Tim-
    Pool: 86 gunite/plaster screened IG 12K 14' X 29', Hayward 120 sq ft cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Hayward SwimPure 40K SWCG, Hayward Poolvergnuegen autovac,
    Heat: 280 sq ft Ultrasun solar Panels, Pentair Solartouch Ctrl, (solar cover and reel)
    Tests: Taylor K-2006C & K-1766 w/ speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

welcome to tfp
    clear choice labs is an australian company
    Kits Clear Choice Labs
    also if considering taylor you need 2006C
    just had alook at ccl site and looks like they are out of stock, maybe give then an email
    but i am super happy with 2006C
    Taylor FAS DPD Test Kit Chlorine - SERVICE SIZE K-2006C $149.99
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!

How come FAS PDP is so hard to find in australia? I assumed it would be something I could get from a pool store.
    50,000L, IG (in ground), Concrete/marblesheen, 40 years old, Sand filter (Zelbrite media), Davey PM Eco (1600rpm), SWG, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit, solar (25m2 tubes, Davey wisper 500 Boost pump), Zodiac vx50 robot cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I wouldn't expect a pool store to sell an decent test kit. Most of their chemicals are sold because of their (typically) terrible free testing, so supporting and providing accurate home testing goes against their business model and would hurt their profits.
    Pool Stats: 18' X 48" Vinyl AG, 6,700 gal, Hayward Power-Flo LX 1hp and Easy-Clear C400 cart, Circupool RJ-45 SWG, Dolphin S300, My AG Pool Mods
    Helpful Links: Pool Logger, PoolMath, TF100 test kit, Recommended Chemical Levels, Ext Test Kit Directions, FC/CYA Chart, Chlorine Date Code Calendar, Polyfill Iron Removal, Borates Drop Test

6. Back To Top    #6

Contact Clear Choice Labs. They are based in Brisbane. I have to give them a big shout out as they went all out to get me a Chlorine test kit (even though out of stock) just this past weekend during my slam.

I would recommend buying their complete test kit not just the Chlorine kit.
    58,000L Pebblecrete, PureSilk SWG 25G, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Hayward TriStar VS Pump, Astral RolaChem RC1 acid feeder, Maytronics Dolphin M4 Cleaner, CCL Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC) is not common

It's more common for DIYers to rely on DPD (white tablets) or OTO (yellow) testing. Many get by with that if they keep CYA low and shock regularly. Most common pool care is probably pool shop based with DIY mixed in.

TFPC allows you to reduce chemical consumption (and SWG run time) and seldom if ever need to shock your pool, or have it go green the day before a birthday party

For TFPC, you need FAS-DPD for accurate FC testing, which enables the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test test, and if/when needed, also enables you to SLAM.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, K-1106 and CCL test kits; Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWCG 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; Other family pools 10K SWCG and 15K on liquid; PoolMath app subscriber; | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by squibcakes View Post
    Contact Clear Choice Labs. They are based in Brisbane. I have to give them a big shout out as they went all out to get me a Chlorine test kit (even though out of stock) just this past weekend during my slam.

I would recommend buying their complete test kit not just the Chlorine kit.
    What's the complete kit? The "Total Salt kit"?

9. Back To Top    #9

12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, K-1106 and CCL test kits; Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWCG 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; Other family pools 10K SWCG and 15K on liquid; PoolMath app subscriber; | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by needsajet View Post
    +1 thumbs up on that kit - i have it too.

I can remember thinking "wow i could get 10 cheap kits for the price of that", but in hindsight I now know it has saved money in the long run.
    I was probably spending on average $20 a week buying various things initially to add to the pool. Now I'm spending on average $20 about every 3 months.
    So its a high upfront cost but will save you in the long run once you work out the TFPC way.
    22,000 litre (5,800 gal) Saltwater Fibreglass IGP, Zodiac Tri-XO Midsize chlorinator, Zodiac 25" Titan Sand Filter, Zodiac FloPro E3 Variable Speed Pump, Zodiac Z200 M4 Heat Pump, AX10-Activ Suction Cleaner, Clear Choice Labs Saltwater Test Kit.