Walmart Bleach

7snorkel

Bronze Supporter
Mar 31, 2016
Plano, TX
Haven't stopped by in a few weeks, but I noticed today at Walmart that they have a new label on their bleach.

The new label has a small 2 on it.

The one I've gotten for the past 3 years has a small 1 on the label.

Actually, there were jugs of both today, but more of the '2s' than '1s'.

Not sure if they are discontinuing the '1s' or not, but i checked, and the '2s' are only
6%!!

I grabbed 5 of the 8.25% '1s' and mozied on outta there.

Yeah, Clorox started it- a downward trend again to 6% bleach from 8%, and the generics are following suit. Perhaps Clorox makes everyone's bleach, who knows?!

Don't forget to check in the pool section in Walmart for their 10% liquid chlorine. It may be your best buy. Don't forget to check date codes though so you buy the freshest.

Maddie :flower:

Noticed this last week as well. In my store, there was no 8.25% to be found, Great Value, or any other brand. Thankfully our pool isle had the liquid chlorine with bottles from February of 2018.

The 10% chlorine liquid is $3.64 here in Kentucky as well. The date was 009, so I will wait until they get another shipment before I go get me several jugs.

So.... 009 means January 9th? Its March 14 today. Jan 9th is too old? Also, how are you sure it is the correct year.

So.... 009 means January 9th? Its March 14 today. Jan 9th is too old? Also, how are you sure it is the correct year.

Yes, 009 means January 9th. I think it's borderline too old, or maybe I'm too picky. I have bought it less than 45 days old most times. 2018 was listed on the bottle, I'm sorry I didn't specify.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, 009 means January 9th. I think it's borderline too old, or maybe I'm too picky. I have bought it less than 45 days old most times. 2018 was listed on the bottle, I'm sorry I didn't specify.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was at Home Depot yesterday, and noticed they have an Outdoor Bleach which I know is not "our bleach."
They also have a HDX (Home Depot) Germicidal Bleach which is 8.25% for $2.99 a jug vs the $2.94 that Great Value (Walmart) was priced at.

I presume this Germicidal Bleach is fine for our pools.

Please advise if not.

Was buying Clorox 8.25 percent bleach at Sams before they added the extra ingredient and called it "Performance Bleach with Cloromax". Then started using Walmart or others to get the 8.25 percent, which, when it was introduced, was labeled "regular concentrated". There was a big promotion by Clorox and info saying that concentrated meant 8.25%, or 33% stronger than regular. Stopped by Walmart yesterday and the bottles of off-brand bleach still says concentrated, but it's been brought down to 6%, but the price remains the same. Tried the dollar store... same thing. The way they, Clorox, touted the "concentrated" bleach, seems a little dishonest not to disclose the change back to 6%, and still leaving "concentrated" on the label. Criminal, in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
It's safe to use all the time as long as it's the plain "Cleaning Bleach", and not one of the scented or "Easy Pour" varieties. You'll just need to use almost twice as much since it's weaker is all.

I know this thread is about Wal Mart bleach, but I just experienced the same thing at Dollar Genera with their house brand bleach.
This change is definitely NOT limited to Wal Mart.

I know we all are not fans of the pool store, but in Florida with a coupon that Leslies emails out regularly I get 5 gallons of 10% for $7. And it is a refill of 2.5 gallon jugs which makes it easier to transport and I am not throwing away all those 1 gallon jugs.

Have you checked pool supply stores? I just assumed they were more expensive and I kept going to multiple home depots, walmarts, and target stores. I apologize to anyone in the area that can't find bleach for their laundry!

Anyway, the best deal I found was Home Depot HDX germicidal bleach 8.25% for $3/gal, but I then called a local pool supply store (great escape) and they had 12.5% for $3/gal. And my favorite part was they had pallets and pallets of it so I could just make one stop.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.