Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I Replace This?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I Replace This?

I just bought a replacement motor for my main pump. I was going to put the new shaft seal in when I noticed a little wear on the seat where you insert the seal. These are two shots of it. Should I replace this or is it fine? My main concern is the small chip in the 1 o'clock position in the first picture (4 o'clock in the second).
    IMG-1857.jpgIMG-1858.jpg
    25,000 Gallon IG Plaster
    Sand Filter
    Pentair Challenger Pump
    Unknown install date
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I Replace This?

The ceramic part of the seal comes in a rubber piece. The ceramic and rubber pieces both need to come out and then you install the new ceramic part with the new rubber piece.

Did you remove just the old ceramic part or did you get the old rubber piece out as well?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

That is the hole where the rubber piece goes. It has been removed. I was cleaning it to install the new seal when I noticed that chip and some other small abrasions.
    25,000 Gallon IG Plaster
    Sand Filter
    Pentair Challenger Pump
    Unknown install date
    TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

It looks ok.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.