Location of salt cell

Mdhkdh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 24, 2017
Winter Haven/Florida
Hi, we just had our 18x33 Matrix installed and I’m wondering why they placed the salt cell on the pool wall while the pump is hard plumbed 20-25 ft away.... The cable for the cell is only 15 ft and it has to connect to the timer which then has to connect to the pump, correct? It seems the cell should be located close to the other equipment. Am I wrong about this or will I need to relocate the cell? Thanks, I’m as new as they come concerning this!!

The RJ model does not use a flow switch, so the cell needs to be vertical and next to the pool so that gasses can get out if the pump is off.

I would recommend the other model with the flow switch and the cell near the other equipment.

Having the cell so close to the return might cause chlorine gas to be lost, which causes pH rise and wastes chlorine.

Oh, okay. Seeing as it is already installed I don’t really want to undo it unless it is likely to be a problem. If I keep it as is, will I need to mount the Aquatrol box within the 15 ft reach of the cord or is it possible to get an extension or longer replacement cord?

Last edited:
The RetroJet cell should be plugged into the power supply. That power supply should be plugged into the timer. For the RetroJet system, the cell must be installed on the pool. I think you can get cell extension cables from the manufacturer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.