Spa Water Level Drops Overnight when Pumps turn Off

I recently bought a home with an existing pool and the details as best I can tell are in my signature. My issue is that the water level in the spa falls as soon as the system turns off and leave the water below the jets come morning. In browsing through these forums, I've replaced the one check valve that I can find. Unfortunately this did not resolve the issue.

This is my first pool and while I'm a pretty accomplished at DIY, I'm still getting caught up on how this system works.

If the issue isn't the check valve, what valves, etc. should I check next? Thanks!

Edit: In spa mode was still getting water drop. Also, updated photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20180305_165905237.jpg
    IMG_20180305_165905237.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20180305_165911706.jpg
    IMG_20180305_165911706.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20180305_165859580.jpg
    IMG_20180305_165859580.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20180305_170610116.jpg
    IMG_20180305_170610116.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 89
I recently bought a home with an existing pool and the details as best I can tell are in my signature. My issue is that the water level in the spa falls as soon as the system turns off and leave the water below the jets come morning. In browsing through these forums, I've replaced the one check valve that I can find. Unfortunately this did not resolve the issue.

This is my first pool and while I'm a pretty accomplished at DIY, I'm still getting caught up on how this system works.

If the issue isn't the check valve, what valves, etc. should I check next? Thanks!

This happened to my pool when my spa valve would not automatically return back to its previous state after I switched to the pool circulation. That isn't the clearest explanation but basically one of your valves isn't being returned to the correct position to allow for the pool to circulate properly in regular use.

Have you used the spa recently? If you have automatic valves controlled by a remote terminal, you may want to check that the valve is working. My solution was a "loose" wire inside the valve. It was not making good contact with the relay but i could get it to make contact by wiggling it at the connection point.

i hope that helps.
Chris

Reactions: Alexberlin
What is the second pump used for in the center of picture? Really hard to see all the valves by your pictures, on the line where you replaced the check valve internal it goes into a 3-way valve where does the top line go to. There is a ball valve on the line out the bottom if that is the spa makeup(spillover) you could shut that after you fill spa and shut down.

When I switch between pool and spa mode the 3 automatic valves seem to open and close without issue.

I had some trouble attaching the photos and can't seem to add any more as it says I'm out of space.

The second pump is labeled as a "Booster" pump within the Jandy system.

The label is missing on the top line running out of the 3way valve, so I do not know at the time. I closed the line going out the top earlier and it didn't seem to help having it closed as it's losing water again tonight. On the line going down out of the valve, the lower ball valve is partially open and I haven't adjusted it yet.

I was able to find another check valve with some equipment out behind the spa and separate from the other equipment. I'm not sure exactly what it's for, though it has a check valve. Any thoughts on if this might be related? I'll check and replace, regardless. Thanks!
IMG_20180321_140919859.jpg

That is the manifold for the in-floor cleaning heads.

Was the check valve that you replaced the spa bypass?

The check valve off the acuator is to spa infloor heads and this would be a line that would allow water back to the pool. So have the new internal ready because when you open it might flood the area depending if the spa is above this valve

If your system is plumbed to close off return through the floor system, then do it and you should be able to test whether the check valve off of the floor system valve in that last picture is failing, without opening it up.

If, on the other hand, your return only goes through the floor system, then I would go ahead and open up that check valve and assume it is failing.

Added: from the second picture in your original post, it looks like you have a manual valve that is open to the floor cleaner. If you turn it the other way, return should go to wall jets only and close off backflow from your infloor heads. I think. :)

I would bet, if you have already replaced the check, that the suction valve is leaking through even when the off tab is pointed at the spa side. I work in a chemical plant and this is a very common issue with all types of valves. Eventually the gate, plug, ball, etc...will get worn or even cut and allow flow through. This will cause equalization of spa to pool.

Edit: In case it isn't clear above, the valve I am referring to is on the suction of the circulating pump where you select between spa and main drain, skimmer, vacuum, etc.

Last edited:
The prior check valve that's been replaced is the one visible in the 2nd through 4th photos in the initial post to this thread.

I'm getting the other new check valve tomorrow and will likely replace on Friday morning when the weather allows and the water level is already down.

I'm not entirely sure how the system is plumbed as I didn't put the pool in. It's my first one and am sort of learning on the fly. I've had the manual valves closed and that's not impacted the draining back into the pool, but I will have them closed before doing this next replacement.

If this doesn't work, I'll look into the suction valves - though there appear to be two of them (had to delete a few photos to make room for that last one).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Word. Even with my glasses on, I cannot make out your pics very well so I'm just going off general experience. The one I assume to be the possible culprit, though, is the valve in the top left pic. I am also a new pool owner and have drained my spa back into my pool more than once already after 5 too many and forgetting to line back up to pool at the end of the night. Whatever it is I hope it's cheap and easy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.