what is this?

Nov 11, 2017
CA
hi, after i got a new pool built, was trying to figure out what this canister is on my deck. There is a female screw adapter on the side of the pool that goes into this black round canister which has a floater inside of it. the top round white piece is attached with screws. pic of the plumbing is attached, canister in question is at top of pic. skimmer is on the bottom of the pic. not sure where the top pipe terminates. is it be the vaccum line?

2gsj2vk.jpg

i'm sure it's something stupid and really obvious but i'm not super familiar with pools. any help appreciated, thanks.

Hi welcome to TFP. I am not an expert however It looks like an auto refill, when the pool drops to a certain level the pool is automatically refilled and shuts off at the high level of the floater. Similar concept to your toilet. Other experts will chime in to confirm.

Good call Brentr.

I've never seen one during construction like that, so it's neat to see how it is plumbed. You can see the pipe feeding it runs up from the ground, then they'll cut down the pipe into the pool once the gunnite and plaster are put in.

Maddie :flower:

Hi welcome to TFP. I am not an expert however It looks like an auto refill, when the pool drops to a certain level the pool is automatically refilled and shuts off at the high level of the floater. Similar concept to your toilet. Other experts will chime in to confirm.

ah, that does make a lot of sense. the floater inside the canister must open and close the valve depending on the water level. thanks! i wonder why the pipe to the pool has a threaded female adapter then, i was hoping it would be a dedicated vacuum line but i guess that's not the case. thanks for the welcome and the help!

Hmmm, it does look to be an auto-fill, but based on what I can see there might be something missing? Mine has three pipes and yours appears to have only two: the water supply line and the equalizer tube (the pipe that goes into the pool). Mine has a third, which is a pipe that runs off into my yard to drain the pool when the water level exceeds a max level. If this isn’t an indoor pool, you’ll want something to keep your pool from overflowing onto the deck and/or into your garden, like after a big rain, or even an auto-filler malfunction. Does your pool plumbing account for this somehow? It doesn't necessarily have to be part of your auto-fill system. Mine just happens to be...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.