Guidance on adding liquid bleach to Hot Tub

Kurt G

Feb 23, 2018
Orchard Park, NY
I am using the Dichlor / Bleach method for my hot tub. I have a couple of questions about adding liquid bleach.

Is it recommended to leave the cover open for a while after liquid bleach is added, or can I simply add and close the cover?

If FC is low and I add some bleach to bring FC back up into the 3 - 6 ppm range, how long after adding the bleach do I need to wait before using the hot tub?

Many thanks for all the excellent information on this website!! This has been tremendously helpful.

Leaving the cover open, and aerating the water for a few minutes after adding chlorine is a good idea because it cuts down on bleachy smells that everyone finds unpleasant.

3 - 6 ppm range

These numbers are meaningless without knowing cya levels. IE: with no cya 3-6ppm FC is very harsh and strong level of chlorine. @100ppm cya, 3 - 6 ppm FC is not enough for sanitation.

I'm sure you're following the cya/fc chart that TFP recommends, so your're probably fine.

You don't have to wait at all after adding chlorine. You can just get in. I suspect a lot of people add FC when they get out. You can do whatever works. Not letting it get too low is the part to focus on.

Welcome to TFP.

Leaving the cover open, and aerating the water for a few minutes after adding chlorine is a good idea because it cuts down on bleachy smells that everyone finds unpleasant.

These numbers are meaningless without knowing cya levels. IE: with no cya 3-6ppm FC is very harsh and strong level of chlorine. @100ppm cya, 3 - 6 ppm FC is not enough for sanitation.

I'm sure you're following the cya/fc chart that TFP recommends, so your're probably fine.

You don't have to wait at all after adding chlorine. You can just get in. I suspect a lot of people add FC when they get out. You can do whatever works. Not letting it get too low is the part to focus on.

Welcome to TFP.

CYA is at 30, just getting ready to switch over from Dichlor to Bleach

Keep a close eye on your CYA levels. My experience is it drops much faster in my spa than in does in my pool. I would check it at minimum every month and maybe twice a month until you get familiar with your spa. I'm guessing the CYA drop has to do with the small amount of water in the spa compared to the pool and the impact of water exchange both from exiting the spa and refilling. Perhaps it also is impacted by the high temps but not sure. Not difficult to correct just move back to the Dichlor until your CYA is back to 30 - 40 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.