can you replace a single speed pump motor with a variable speed motor

Feb 20, 2018
estero, fl
I currently have a Sta Rite Max e Pro Pool Pump. Model - P6EA6e-205L. It is a 1 HP model USQ1102 , 230 Volt. My Pool is inground 22,000 Gal. I also have Solar matts on the roof, 9 ft up and a pool heater, only runs every so often in Florida winter.
My motor is sounding a little noisy and I want to be proactive and replace the 10 year old motor soon. I would like to just replace the Motor and not the whole pump.
I have seen online, from a few distributors I can buy just motors, mine is a square flange. For $250 I can get an exact duplicate. For $399 + $21 - GoKit79 I can get a Variable speed motor and O-rings kit, Shaft Seals, same company makes both (Century). I am told by one of the distributors the Variable Speed motor is an exact change out and bolts right on. Nothing else needed. I am told by others that additional parts are needed and by the time you purchased them, you might as well buy the whole assembly. BTW, I called Pentair, and they say it can't be done.
What's the correct answer? Who's Zoom'in Who ?

I agree that if you want to go VSP, you don't put that motor in a 10 yr pump chassis. I'm on my cell ph now & cannot see if you have an Automation panel or not? If so, you will need additional relays on panel to go from one speed. To VSP. If your programming would be in the pump only, then you do not.

Lastly, you could examine a 2 speed pump if those 2 rpm settings would wk for you. A lot less things to go wrong w 2 speed than VSP

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.