Taylor Test Kit K-2106

Osric

Jan 29, 2018
Muskoka
Today I purchased a K-2106 test kit, but the titrating reagent in the kit is R-0871, while I was expecting R-0872.

Please confirm the following things:

R-0871 is the titration agent for Chlorine.

As a test for Chlorine, I can multiply the results by 2.25 to get Bromine.

That means this table shows the bromine/drop for the sample sizes possible on the test kit tube (which has markings for 10, 25, and 44ml):

Sample mlChlorine/dropBromine/drop

On my hot tub, which I had just done a fresh fill on a few weeks ago, one drop of reagent is sufficient to neutralize the pink colour even on a 44ml sample. This means I have less then 1/4ppm bromine in the tub. I have read that 2ppm should be considered the minimum.

Questions:

1. Are my conclusions correct?
2. Do I need to drain and refill the tub, or can I shock and continue usage?

Thanks!

Reactions: TFP-Guy
According to Taylor, the R-0872 is correct.

https://taylortechnologies.com/en/Image/GetDocument/1128

Have you tried to follow the directions in the kit using the reagents provided?

Thanks for the reply @domct203 ... but since we agree that R-0872 would be correct, and I was provided R-0871, I believe that what I'm doing is correct. Following the directions in the test kit would be off by a factor of 2.5 if I'm really measuring Chlorine with R-0871?

Thanks for the reply @domct203 ... but since we agree that R-0872 would be correct, and I was provided R-0871, I believe that what I'm doing is correct. Following the directions in the test kit would be off by a factor of 2.5 if I'm really measuring Chlorine with R-0871?

Your numbers are correct. The only difference between the R-0871 and R-0872 is a slight concentration change in the ferrous ammonium sulfate to make the numbers for bromine easier to calculate (round numbers to one decimal place). There's no change in chemistry otherwise.

I would call Taylor or whoever you ordered the kit from and tell them you did not get what you paid for. They should send you a replacement reagent for free.

Your numbers are correct. The only difference between the R-0871 and R-0872 is a slight concentration change in the ferrous ammonium sulfate to make the numbers for bromine easier to calculate (round numbers to one decimal place). There's no change in chemistry otherwise.

I would call Taylor or whoever you ordered the kit from and tell them you did not get what you paid for. They should send you a replacement reagent for free.

I bought it from Lowry, the Canadian distributor in Newmarket. I have let them know by email but don't expect a response until during the week. Meanwhile, though a little less convenient to work with, I believe my water is sorted. I'll post a separate message to get some confirmation that I've done it right.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.