Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor Test Kit K-2106

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor Test Kit K-2106

Today I purchased a K-2106 test kit, but the titrating reagent in the kit is R-0871, while I was expecting R-0872.

Please confirm the following things:

R-0871 is the titration agent for Chlorine.

As a test for Chlorine, I can multiply the results by 2.25 to get Bromine.

That means this table shows the bromine/drop for the sample sizes possible on the test kit tube (which has markings for 10, 25, and 44ml):

Sample ml Chlorine/drop Bromine/drop
    10 0.5 1.125
    25 0.200 0.450
    44 0.114 0.256

On my hot tub, which I had just done a fresh fill on a few weeks ago, one drop of reagent is sufficient to neutralize the pink colour even on a 44ml sample. This means I have less then 1/4ppm bromine in the tub. I have read that 2ppm should be considered the minimum.

Questions:

1. Are my conclusions correct?
    2. Do I need to drain and refill the tub, or can I shock and continue usage?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Taylor Test Kit K-2106

According to Taylor, the R-0872 is correct.

https://taylortechnologies.com/en/Im...tDocument/1128

Have you tried to follow the directions in the kit using the reagents provided?
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Taylor Test Kit K-2106

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    According to Taylor, the R-0872 is correct.

https://taylortechnologies.com/en/Im...tDocument/1128

Have you tried to follow the directions in the kit using the reagents provided?
    Thanks for the reply @domct203 ... but since we agree that R-0872 would be correct, and I was provided R-0871, I believe that what I'm doing is correct. Following the directions in the test kit would be off by a factor of 2.5 if I'm really measuring Chlorine with R-0871?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Osric View Post
    Thanks for the reply @domct203 ... but since we agree that R-0872 would be correct, and I was provided R-0871, I believe that what I'm doing is correct. Following the directions in the test kit would be off by a factor of 2.5 if I'm really measuring Chlorine with R-0871?
    Your numbers are correct. The only difference between the R-0871 and R-0872 is a slight concentration change in the ferrous ammonium sulfate to make the numbers for bromine easier to calculate (round numbers to one decimal place). There's no change in chemistry otherwise.

I would call Taylor or whoever you ordered the kit from and tell them you did not get what you paid for. They should send you a replacement reagent for free.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Your numbers are correct. The only difference between the R-0871 and R-0872 is a slight concentration change in the ferrous ammonium sulfate to make the numbers for bromine easier to calculate (round numbers to one decimal place). There's no change in chemistry otherwise.

I would call Taylor or whoever you ordered the kit from and tell them you did not get what you paid for. They should send you a replacement reagent for free.
    I bought it from Lowry, the Canadian distributor in Newmarket. I have let them know by email but don't expect a response until during the week. Meanwhile, though a little less convenient to work with, I believe my water is sorted. I'll post a separate message to get some confirmation that I've done it right.

Thanks!