Electricity Cost to Heat Pool?

I want to raise my pool temperature 6 degrees F. with an electric heater (not heat pump).
I have been told that a 400k BTU heater would add 320k BTU/hr (189k BTU´s, 6 deg.F)
would take 0.6 hours (35 min.). I prefer the shortest time to heat for pool usage in early morning.

My question is what would be my cost of electricity with .22 cents per kWh?

(I have an inground tiled pool 18ftx7ftx4ft, 3,800 gal., 126 sq.ft.
Existing Hayward Power-Flo Matarix Pump with VariFlo XL valve and Pro Series Sand Filter)

Ok. Well 400k BTU is about 120kW. I'm guessing based on your location you mean your electricity is 22 cents per kWh (0.22 cents would be by far the lowest rate in the US)? If so then running a 400BTU electrical resistive heater for 35 minutes would cost about $16,000 (whoops, misplaced a decimal point. That should be $16 like CJadamec said). I'm also very curious where you are finding such a heater and where you plan to install it, as this will likely require an industrial power setup.

EDIT: Oh I did find some. You will need to get a 380v 3-phase power installed at your home. Looks like the highest you can find for 240v single phase is 57 kW, about half of what you are looking for.

Well if you actually could find a 400kbtu electric resistance heater you would need 488 amps @ 240volts. It would consume 117 kilowatts per hour. Or 22 dollars an hour to run.

A more reasonable heater 30kw runs around 1600 dollars and will use 125 amps. At 30kw it's going to give around 100kbtus and cost 7 dollars an hour to run.

Search for coats heater they make resistance heaters. Your utility company is going to love you after you install that.

Well if you actually could find a 400kbtu electric resistance heater you would need 488 amps @ 240volts. It would consume 117 kilowatts per hour. Or 22 dollars an hour to run.

A more reasonable heater 30kw runs around 1600 dollars and will use 125 amps. At 30kw it's going to give around 100kbtus and cost 7 dollars an hour to run.

Search for coats heater they make resistance heaters. Your utility company is going to love you after you install that.

Maybe I have to change my preference to a heat pump based on the cost, however, will a 100kbtus heat pump provide a 6 degree rise in temperature? With what needed air temp.? And how long to get from 25 to 31 degrees C? Which heater is recommended, Coates, Hayward, Others?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.