Landscaping Ideas and Pictures for Houston Texas area

Dec 6, 2017
Cypress/TX
I would love to add some tropical shrubs to my backyard landscaping. I have electrical line running behind my house so I don't want them to be too tall but still add some tropical feel. Easy maintenance around the pool would be nice. Any recommendation is very much appreciated. Thank you.

I would love to add some tropical shrubs to my backyard landscaping. I have electrical line running behind my house so I don't want them to be too tall but still add some tropical feel. Easy maintenance around the pool would be nice. Any recommendation is very much appreciated. Thank you.

I am in Little Rock and for several years I use elephant ears, iris, monkey grass, and various banana trees. You are lucky being in Houston as you can grow a greater variety of banana trees and palm trees.

I would also check out this site for cold weather tropicals
https://www.plantdelights.com/collections/exotic-plant-cold-hardy-tropical-plants-for-sale?page=1

Local nurseries will really give you the best information on sustainable flora for your climate. Many will even do a basic layout for you with different plant types and waive the design fee if you buy from them. I had a landscaper plant Queen palms near my pool for a green/exotic look and, honestly, I hate them. They are the wrong palms for my soil and climate and they just get hammered every winter. Stay away from plants that are not recommended for your USDA Heartiness zone and soil type or else you’ll spend lots of time trying to make a plant grow where it doesn’t want to.

Have done some zone pushing for experimenting but it isn't good for long term gardening. I wish I had the climate for Queen Palms but they wouldn't do much better here. I am in zone 8 and Houston is zone 9a which really opens possibilities. Also bamboo IN CONTAINERS really create a tropical feel. There are losts of options for your location better than I have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.