Hoping this is not algae again!

I have been using the FAS-DPD test while I am shocking the pool, it usually turns really red/hot pink when I put the pool water in the vial, the last 2 times it has barely turned a pale pink UNTIL I start adding the drops....it has never done that before so don't know what that means if anything...

I am still in the middle of shocking the pool because of algae and my numbers did not hold again last night. I am about to run out of the FAS-DPD liquid from all the testing but have ordered more, my question is what do I do without being able to check my FC while shocking? Should I just keep pouring in a little bit of bleach hourly all day and continue brushing?

I did catch this before it got as bad as last time, water is clear just stuff on the bottom that keeps settling. Thanks guys!

Good Morning!

I was in the middle of shocking the pool over the weekend due to what I believe to have been mustard algae and ran out of the R-0871. I have now received it and did an overnight test and I am not quite sure if this is considered a big drop and need to still shock. The water is clear just a little "dirt" at the bottom that I keep brushing to circulate. Last night my test was 38 x.5=19

Ph -7.5
TA -170
CYA-70
FAS-DPD- 36 x .5 = 18

Thanks!

Thanks FPM...I'll test again tonight. I have another question....on my skimmer on top around the edges there is a black oily,tarry film, it wipes off fairly easy but continues to collect after I wipe clean, is this from my algae attacks or is it another issue. Should I clean it with something special other than just wiping it off? Thanks for any info....I'd post a pic but I just cleaned it off today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another question. I have not run the SWG for over a week due to the major shocking I was in the process of. My numbers look pretty good except my TA is high. I read in the PS that unless you have those 2 reasons to lower your TA, don't lower it just to reach a target. I don't have either of those issues, so should I just leave it alone? My CYA was extremely high after I did the shock and is still above what it should be, I have not been concerned that it is dropping each day by 1ppm, I want it to get to 6 or 7, is this the right outlook?

I was looking at the recommended levels for vinyl and using bleach table since I haven't run the SWG recently and it says that my TA should be ok around 70 - 90+...again, not sure if I should just leave it alone or not.

Today's test results:

Ph - 7.5
TA-140
CYA - 60
FAS-DPD - 12

Thanks!

We recommend 70-80 for CYA so you are fine.

The ONLY issue with high TA is it causes the PH to rise. If that's not happening than don't worry about it. The simple fix is everytime the PH rises to 7.8 lower the PH down to 7.2. This acid addition will also slowly lower the TA, and eventually it should be in range, and the PH will stop rising (if you experience PH rise at all, every pool is unique). Other than that you shouldn't have to worry.

You must have very little sun exposure, bather load and do you keep the pool covered?

LOL...I am usually the only one in the pool and I'm a floater, so not much action there! haha! This is the first time this summer that I really feel like I am getting a grip on this pool maintenance stuff and it feels really great! Probably can keep pool open all the way into October here in Houston and that makes me happy!

Do these #'s look ok to you?

ph - 7.8
TA - 140
CYA - 70
FAS-DPD - 3.5

I shocked 2 weeks ago and have slowly let my count get down to this level on the 3.5. I know my TA is too high, but the reasoning for dropping it does not meet my criteria according to P-school. My PH has been holding at 7.5 for over a week, but we have had some rain and are expecting 2 more days of it, so I don't know if I should go ahead and add acid or not...thanks!

I did check my recommended levels using vinyl/swg...according to that FC should be 3 - 5 and ph - 7.5 - 7.8 is acceptable. Is that not correct? My water looks awesome! Please let me know if you really think I should do something....

Water Balance for SWGs does say:
Adjust your pH to 7.5-7.6 and not any lower. Monitor your pH and when it climbs to 7.8 add acid to lower it back to 7.5-7.6 (This is also IMPORTANT!)
So you should bring your pH down a bit.

For SWGs at CYA 70 it says FC 3-5, so does the Chlorine/CYA chart, so that's okay where it is. I would bring it up a little closer to 5 just to be on the safe side.
--paulr

It's me again...! Pool has been looking beautiful up until this past 5 days when we have had some rain. I test every other day for any changes that I need to take care of. I started running the SWG 2 hours everyday and it brought my number back up to 6 ppm. I want it to go to 5 so I didn't run it yesterday. It has remained at 6 today. Here's the deal, I haven't vacuumed because of the rain, but I have been brushing twice daily to keep things (settled dirt) moving. Today when I went to brush, the stuff now has a green tint to it when it starts stirring up. My water is clear even when I brush, it just has this green color in the "Dirt" that I move around, it does not however make my water green and murky like before when I had bad algae. So since I didn't lose any overnight, could this be algae AGAIN?

PH- 7.5
TA -110
CYA - 80
FAS-DPD- 6

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.