Fiberglass Pool Leak

BlairF

Aug 14, 2017
San Antonio
I seem to have a leak in my fiberglass pool. I did the bucket test which had a significant difference now am attempting to locate where the leak might be occuring.

I have let the pool sit for about a week to see where the water stops. In the pictures you can see it sits just above a return jet and partially above the bottom of the skimmer. Would the sides of the skimmer be an issue that a leak would occur?

Attachments

• 20180208_191920.jpg
    20180208_191920.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 20180208_192009.jpg
    20180208_192009.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 20180208_192022.jpg
    20180208_192022.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 85
Since the return is still submerged, I would be more inclined to think the skimmer area is the problem. If it's not dropping any further, that should rule-out the plumbing line which is good. I wonder if our recent cold spells effected your plastic or the seal? Have you tried dropping any food color/dye in their with the water quiet to look for areas of escape? Can't really tell from the pic if you have a problem around the skimmer opening (caulking/seal) or if it's the plastic skimmer itself inside. In any case, once you find the gap/crack and location, there are a variety of products that can help in that area such as polyurethane caulk, pool putty like this: https://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Epoxy-Pool-Putty-Set/dp/B0002Z0NBY, A&B Putty, or perhaps even a 3M 5200 product which is made for use under the water - although that one (and sometimes other products), might require the water level to be dropped slightly for the area to be dry until it cures. So be aware of that as well. If you do need to drop a little water and have a main drain, you can pull from there (backwash to waste). If no main drain, then drop a small sump pump of some type (or siphon) to get clean/dry access to the entire skimmer area if needed to do the repair.

While you do some more thinking and watch that water level for changes, stay close to this thread as I suspect some other industry experts will reply who will help to confirm some products to use in the skimmer area - depending upon if the repair is required around the outside of the skimmer mouth or inside. If I missed any other area of considerations, they'll point them out. :rant:

Last thing. If that pool has been stagnant for a week with no movement, you might consider adding a little regular bleach and manually brushing it around just to help keep it from becoming a swamp. I know our water temps are still cool around here (mine is still under 60), but you don't want to see it getting crazy green on you.

Good luck!

An update I went ahead and resealed around the skimmer but it did not fix the issue. The water still reduced to the same spot as previously.
I was thinking possibly a leak in the pipes but the skimmer basket still maintains water.

Anything that I may be overlooking? Going to call in the pool company shortly if anyone in the San Antonio area has a company suggestion for leak detection.

That is odd. Water will stop at the point (level) of escape. I would've bet money in Vegas it was your skimmer unless there's some other spot around the pool at the same height. In any case, I don't' have any personal experience or references with S.A. leak detectors. If your installer doesn't have one, you could call the big-name pool guys off of Hwy 281 to see if they do it or have a POC. If not, Mr. Google would probably be my next option unless another local has personal experience. I'm curious to see what you find out. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

I have someone coming test the pool for leaks on Friday ($500). So I am attempting one last run at finding the problem myself before having to spend the cash. I dropped in alittle more shock this time to give it a few extra days for the water to sit without worrying about it turning into a swamp and water is now making it below the skimmer.

My pool light cover (believe it is called a niche) as recent fell off and I was going to replace the light when it got alittle warmer to get in the water, but starting to think this may be were the leak could be? If the glass and niche are currently off does that give it any spots to leak outside of the pool?

In this illustration you can see how the light fits into the cavity (niche). A leak certainly can happen to a pool in that location. Since the niche is designed to be full of water, it can begin to seep-out at the rear where the conduit enters the niche from behind.

dbtgallery.php

Start with any junction if unlike materials & fixtures and hopefully get lucky. Anything that touches water it can leak.

That’s not an easy skimmer to replace.. I just did one & had to field cut wall & faceplates. Job like that, the AB epoxy on interior pool wall, is a tell - the skimmer to wall interface has leaked in the past.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.