Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward vari flow xl installation issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward vari flow xl installation issue

Hi, we just had our vari flow xl replaced. This is my first time ever dealing with this type of valve and a sand filter. The pool has been filthy all season, so I'm looking at the valve, and the port on the valve marked "pump" goes to the pool return, and the port marked "return" goes to the pump. I'm assuming that this is the problem, but could someone confirm that it's important that the valve is plumbed in correctly? ie, I don't want the pool guy saying that the water flows the same way, it doesn't matter if it's installed backwards. thanks in advance for any help.
    80's 25,000G steel/vinyl Grecian - Hayward 1HP SuperPump, sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Hayward vari flow xl installation issue

"pump" should have the pipe coming from the top of the pump going to it. "Return" well should be connected to the pipes going to the return. I'm trying to think what would happen if it was hooked up incorrectly. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't operate correctly on filter, and you definitely wouldn't be able to backwash or rinse correctly since it would just shut off the "return" on the valve which means it wouldn't let water in from the pump while trying to backwash. Regardless it needs to be plumbed right.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you very much, it's definitely hooked up the opposite of what you described.
    80's 25,000G steel/vinyl Grecian - Hayward 1HP SuperPump, sand filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!

It's definitely plumbed backwards However, until you have the time to switch the plumbing ports, put the valve on 'backwash' and you'll actually be in 'filter' (all the functions are 180* opposite from what they should be )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)