Polaris Pump Losing prime on start up

Dec 15, 2017
Chalmette,LA
Hello,
I'm a newbie here but I'll try not to be painful to the forum. Ive had an inground pool for 4 years and have learned/maintained it myself. So far its been nothing but replacing some old parts, salt, clear water, and fun. I have Hayward pump that runs constantly at 1500 rpms and I have a timer to turn on my Polaris for cleaning one hour a day. Everything has been working fine for the last four years until a few mornings ago. I hear the pump from my bedroom and I knew the sound wasnt right. I went out to find the pump surging and the polaris not moving.

I decided to kick the pool pump on high (3000 rpm) and see what happened. When I did the pump primed and the Polaris took off cleaning as usual. After a minute I kicked the main pump back to idle and the Polaris kept going until the timer shut it off. I assumed i just got air somehow but this is an every morning ritual now. I thought maybe it was Polaris wear so I did some diagnosing on their website. My hose joints were all leaking badly so I replaced them. Im sure other parts are worn on my 280 but it works great once I prime it with main pump boost. Ive also wondered if my main pump is actually still pushing 1500 rpms at idle, maybe thats an issue.

The Polaris pump is about 2 years old and the Hayward main pump is about 3.5 years old. I replaced sand and filter about a year ago and we backflush it regularly. Im really not sure where to begin diagnosing this issue so I dont replace a ton of unnecessary stuff. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated. If I have left out any helpful info please let me know and Ill provide it.
thanks,

Hey Tom! Just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the forum as I suppose soon you'll get hammered with lots of replies. I don't have a Polaris myself, but with any cleaning/vacuum products, automated or manual, the smallest break in a seal can be a headache and effect the performance of the product or suction by allowing air into the system. On top of that, VS pumps are notorious for building-up a slight amount of air bubbles in the strainer basket at low RPM, so often times owners will program their pump to kick-up to a higher RPM just to purge the system of any air pockets. Perhaps a combination of the two is the reason you are starting to see some issues at the low RPM. Hopefully there are no other suction side leaks which would allow into the system as well. You can always review the TFP Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks page to be sure. Hang tight, more replies will follow. Nice to have you with us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.