Pool Cover Protection from Rough Coping?

jasn54

May 20, 2009
Greetings all. I am installing a Loop-Loc cover over my new 11'x24' fiberglass pool which has granite decking slightly over-hanging the pool edge. I'm worried that the abrasive edge will damage my cover, especially on windy days and if I get a heavy snow.

Can anyone recommend a tried & true method for me to soften that edge and prevent the cover from fraying? I was (over)thinking to build a PVC frame around the edge to elevate the cover and keep it off the granite but now convinced it would not stay in place. I've also found a product online that is 20' long x 2' wide, heavy Armokote fabric that would hang over the edge between the cover and the granite. I kinda like this approach, but no reviews of this product so I am not sure about effectiveness. Donehy's Cover Guard

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thx

Greetings all. I am installing a Loop-Loc cover over my new 11'x24' fiberglass pool which has granite decking slightly over-hanging the pool edge. I'm worried that the abrasive edge will damage my cover, especially on windy days and if I get a heavy snow.

Can anyone recommend a tried & true method for me to soften that edge and prevent the cover from fraying? I was (over)thinking to build a PVC frame around the edge to elevate the cover and keep it off the granite but now convinced it would not stay in place. I've also found a product online that is 20' long x 2' wide, heavy Armokote fabric that would hang over the edge between the cover and the granite. I kinda like this approach, but no reviews of this product so I am not sure about effectiveness. Donehy's Cover Guard

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thx

Maybe some dollar-store pool noodles around the perimeter?

Merlin is a competitor product to Loop-Loc, and the brand I have. I found this document that discusses coping padding in several areas of the document, specifically pages 3 and 5.

My cover has an extra layer of mesh about 24" wide attached to the underside of the cover on the entire perimeter. It attaches at the edge and is loose towards the middle. It is attached with velcro in four pieces on our rectangular pool. It has held up well in our sometimes snowy environment. Our coping is 90 degree edge bluestone. Though I did run a grinder along the entire edge of the coping to create a mini bevel of about 1/8" at 45 degrees. It's super easy to do and I have no particular experience. Granite is likely harder than bluestone though so not sure on that. It also made the edge just a little more comfortable to lean against with your back while in the pool.

http://merlinindustries.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/merlin-safety-cover-owners-guide.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Also, here is a good search for products. One of which is actual Loop-Loc padding.

https://www.google.com/search?q=winter+cover+padding&oq=winter+cover+padding&aqs=chrome..69i57.4672j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks very much bmoreswim. I've decided to take a chance on the Cover Guard product I linked to above. It looks pretty similar to the loop-loc product included in your google search list (which was better than mine). It will act like that second layer of mesh you have with your cover.

We shall see...

Thanks very much bmoreswim. I've decided to take a chance on the Cover Guard product I linked to above. It looks pretty similar to the loop-loc product included in your google search list (which was better than mine). It will act like that second layer of mesh you have with your cover.

We shall see...

Hey. Wondering how you fared with Cover Guard and how/if you affixed it to your automatic cover? Thx.
Adam
[email protected]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.