Cover for pool with retaining wall

EndUp

Oct 9, 2017
Alamo, CA
First, thank you to TFP and everyone on this forum! I have learned a ton, and am now able to care for my pool.

There are many trees near my pool, and in the winter, leaves and other debris constantly fall into the pool. Is there a cover that can deal with this problem, given that there is a retaining wall and steps on one side? Also, will a safety fence around the entire pool be an issue for the cover? It's about 3 feet from the edge. I have a 2 year old child, so I don't want to get rid of the fence.

Here's a photo of my pool: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4543/38909411122_15b36af9f3_b.jpg

My goal is to decrease the amount of work I do for the pool. So I'm concerned about getting a cover, only still to have lots of work to do for the pool and/or cover.

FYI, I am in Northern California (SF Bay Area), so I don't close the pool for winter.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Great to hear that TFPC is working for you. Welcome and good to have you here :)

I'm guessing you're thinking of a leaf cover, and I think you could probably rig it up with the anchors on top of the wall. A cover supplier could tell you if that would hold up to the wind, which would be a concern I think. The leaves might work their way down the other side and you could blow them away, but it would still be a bit of work, and setting up the cover would be work as well. I think a solar cover would be a lot more work because you need to take it off occasionally to let the pool breathe. But you can blow the leaves off it while it's on the pool, or hose them toward the skimmer.

Another option would be skim every few hours, and maybe a bit more than you're doing now. You can use hairnets as a skimmer sock in the skimmer so it's quick to clean out. Scooping the leaves manually on the worst days might be the least work of all.

You could plumb a suction cleaner into your skimmer as well, which would make it less work than cleaning the bag on the Polaris. It would also save you some power cost. Another option is a robot which will also suck up the leaves after they sink, then you retrieve the cleaner and hose out the filter cartridges.

And by the way, nice lookin pool! :)

Yes you can get a cover that will account for variations in elevation. Mine is similar and was cut to account for this. These covers are not cheap however.

9dfFI6lr03a9Vxnf9WTRtozbKiWQjPIv9MOzEboAlI-1PGeqYbxuzgPMUJTnA8I-13W8B925SMl3LlRMMb-13RrPYTfee_HjXpncg6JzT8tFWuPME02nl357weLZ98x6OtbokQ5iqnFAD6Jn7dMg-RUOSRfiTu2tGF7BHruFH6bLmaA3ZkORHVAgffwICqe1WYh5UpqKAyc64kmNFImOgh8jtBngI9LXSbKmG7pXV2yVUi8JRB1xxSdfHWETElhMA32dMBTRLG9V7doCUSq5QtKCrisjPb5pDUMqJQHH7EO7yNCOXELR8S5vaI77cUX4jJcgDA7EaKHEpZoQOYOJcz8MAyBDaiHnIZJ2GdOSvuNk1z9TqgWjq8vv0FWV8PxzE-fJusIURzvuiGdas_yMJBz6uJMLoPMFTFfkLcmV_EQLRbEVKpH_4KBV4Gy7fFjaaNyVI-TYwrXZgA11i_vK7W4AATxmgBnLO9tsJZfoWhFBnMS6UxtvL_CMEK4kpkB2h_uBDHu3Sj6cQO2zm_sQI-YUJroWnSGg2IfVYTftZtFNq8BbogoR3XFbNtNkBgLneuI5d_Q_MEoANJ_s0p_ydduoT4NHPdiMvpvMeOAm-TU6B_wfxqYnL3PEhoyTvDp2R1nvIspZtQPGlQf_KVKNBrraP8SzAuze4Jg=w1214-h910-no

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.