New Pool build Central Alabama

randal106

Bronze Supporter
Jul 19, 2017
South Alabama
Hey guys, figured I would start the pool build thread. It’s going to be a long process, and has been going since September with lining everything up, and getting everything worked out.

The Basics:

Installing a 20X40 Vinyl Liner pool W/ tanning ledge.
Will have to move the Septic field Lines to install pool.
We are also replacing a 15X30 wooden deck w/ Trex deck.

Pool Details:

20X40 Vinyl liner w/ side entrance steps and tanning ledge (10x12 ledge)
Wooden wall pool
4 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains tied to one skimmer line
8’6’’ deep at deep end, 3’4’’ deep at shallow end.
Concrete bottom
Cantilever Coping
Diving board
VS speed Inteliflow 3HP Pentair pump
Sand filter
Intelitouch automation
I-60 salt system
2 intelibright LED lights
Bubbler in tanning ledge
Robot cleaner
Concrete decking with spray deck

Septic guy will be here today to install the new field lines. After that, we wait till January 15th to start the dig to give the ground time to dry up..

A couple questions:

1) Which side of the pool should we put the lights? We were thinking the side opposite the steps, so the light can shine on the steps for safety, but that is pointing toward the “patio” area where we will be have a table, chairs, etc…??

2) Where would you put the pool equipment? Right now it’s slated to go next to the house (see drawing), buts that right outside our bedroom. Should I move it to the fence line all the way on right side of drawing?

3) We only have a 10ft gate at the end of our driveway for access. Should I pay for a pumper truck instead of letting the concrete truck on my driveway? I’m concerned the concrete truck will destroy my driveway that I don’t have the budget to replace right now…

4) Handrail on the tanning ledge? Is it needed? Can it be removed if we want to remove it?

5) Our contract includes a pressure side cleaner line, should I have them make that into another return, or leave it as is, just not cut the liner for it, for future use?

Photo Album on OneDrive:
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

s!AuJgWdutsDXTjlE0jeKyQ8QwNohQ
s!AuJgWdutsDXTjlE0jeKyQ8QwNohQ

Attachments

• Before2.jpg
    Before2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 247
  • Before3.jpg
    Before3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 243
  • Before4.jpg
    Before4.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Before5.jpg
    Before5.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 246
  • Poolplan.pdf
    109.7 KB · Views: 9
1) Which side of the pool should we put the lights? We were thinking the side opposite the steps, so the light can shine on the steps for safety, but that is pointing toward the “patio” area where we will be have a table, chairs, etc…??

2) Where would you put the pool equipment? Right now it’s slated to go next to the house (see drawing), buts that right outside our bedroom. Should I move it to the fence line all the way on right side of drawing?

3) We only have a 10ft gate at the end of our driveway for access. Should I pay for a pumper truck instead of letting the concrete truck on my driveway? I’m concerned the concrete truck will destroy my driveway that I don’t have the budget to replace right now…

4) Handrail on the tanning ledge? Is it needed? Can it be removed if we want to remove it?

5) Our contract includes a pressure side cleaner line, should I have them make that into another return, or leave it as is, just not cut the liner for it, for future use?

1) You always want to put the light where it is *not* facing the patio or house... the glare is annoying when placed wrong. Consider some sort of other light for the patio that also highlights the steps, or even using glow in the dark tile accents on the steps. I saw one poster use them a while back and they look just like tile in the day but glowed at night. Just enough to see where the steps are.

2) With such a great yard and space available, why not consider putting it out of the way away from the house and build a small shed around it. That could hide it and protect it from the elements and also provide pool supplies storage. Could be real cute! You have a *great* yard there is no reason to stick it (and the possible pump noise) next to the house. Make sure they put an outlet in range for the robot.

3) Yes... sadly we didn't and our driveway took a big hit when we had our pool installed. A little extra money spent to save a lot more makes sense to me (now).

4) Ask the PB about removable handrails. You don't think you need them but trust me (I had 3 ortho surgeries last year) there would be no way for me to go down even one step on to a tanning ledge or pool if I didn't have a hand rail. You never know if you'll need one later, or an older relative would love to get in the pool. None of us is aging backwards, y'know? If your PB could install the sleeve in the decking (bonded) and hook you up with the rail you can add as needed.....

5) Since you'll be using a robot I'd skip it. One less cut in the vinyl, and one less pipe to deal with. Pressure side cleaners can't perform anywhere close to what a robot does so my vote is to skip it. Some would say if it were a suction side line it could be a handy back up if ever the robot failed and you wanted to vacuum manually and have the schmutz go directly in to your filter...but I'd just get a new robot or repair the one I have.

My two cents :)

Keep us updated with lots of pics please!!

Maddie :flower:

Side hand rail... have not thought of that..... instead of in the center of the steps... that could work....

Also, this happened today (Septic Lines rerouting). Pretty yard is no more... sad, but excited at the same time...

Attachments

• 20171204_140533.jpg
    20171204_140533.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 232
  • 20171204_160809.jpg
    20171204_160809.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 228
Why did you need to move the septic line? Mine was suspect, but it was scoped out by a plumber and found to be not in the way. They charged $600 for the scoping and the end of the scope has a radio transmitter that told them exactly where the line was and at what depth. He said if the main line needed to be moved I was looking at probably close to $10k. I thought that a bit high but if so, would have ended the pool build for us.

Your yard screams, "Pool!". I also suggest having the rail sleeve installed so it is there an ready if/when you want to install a handrail. I am going through this now and the installer wants $1200 for the rail and installation. My pool also included a pressure side cleaner but I got a robot so this line will never be used. It is set up in such a way that it is hard to use as a return too. I end up "flushing" it once in awhile so the water inside it doesn't get stagnant. I suggest make it an actual return or lose it altogether.

I don't think many builders use the skimmer to integrate with the floor drains anymore. I was warned away from this from multiple sources. I suggest you do not tie in the main drain to the skimmer but instead have it entirely stand-alone and homerunned back to the equipment pad. I would also suggest all of your plumbing be homerunned back to the pad.

Why did you need to move the septic line? Mine was suspect, but it was scoped out by a plumber and found to be not in the way. They charged $600 for the scoping and the end of the scope has a radio transmitter that told them exactly where the line was and at what depth. He said if the main line needed to be moved I was looking at probably close to $10k. I thought that a bit high but if so, would have ended the pool build for us.

I don't think many builders use the skimmer to integrate with the floor drains anymore. I was warned away from this from multiple sources. I suggest you do not tie in the main drain to the skimmer but instead have it entirely stand-alone and homerunned back to the equipment pad. I would also suggest all of your plumbing be homerunned back to the pad.

I had two drawings, one from the county, and one from the previous homeowner that showed two different "As-Builts" for the septic lines, both were in the way of the pool, best case was we only had to move one lateral, but moving one was about the same cost as installing all new lines ($4K) so we went that route.

Ill see if the builder can eliminate the pressure side line, and use it for the main drains to be home-ran instead of tied to the skimmer.

I will say that *if* you have an unused pressure side vacuum line you can always use it for a fountain! Handy when trying to cool the pool down a bit or to raise the pH.

Look at Skippy's fountain in my siggy line for an example.

I will say that *if* you have an unused pressure side vacuum line you can always use it for a fountain! Handy when trying to cool the pool down a bit or to raise the pH.

Look at Skippy's fountain in my siggy line for an example.

That fountain is really cool. I have an unused pressure port as well that is valved and threaded at the pool end. What a great use for this! Only minor problem is that it bypasses everything when in use - heater and SWG. But I gotta try it!

This is happening today:
Deck is removed, and pool dig has begun!!!!

TF-100 test kit ordered this morning!!

Side note, weather for the next few days will be below freezing (18 at night, 34 or so during the day) Any issues with them doing the vermiculite / poolcrete bottom and footings while its so cold?

Attachments

• 20180102_123057.jpg
    20180102_123057.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 20171229_141418.jpg
    20171229_141418.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 187

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.