Mosquito control

That is a serious backpack sprayer. I have also used Bifen, but in south Florida it is less effective in the summer with the heavy rains. I also have a very big yard that is hard to spray, but might be a lot easier with that sprayer. I have found the mosquito magnets to be very effective.

That is a serious backpack sprayer. I have also used Bifen, but in south Florida it is less effective in the summer with the heavy rains. I also have a very big yard that is hard to spray, but might be a lot easier with that sprayer. I have found the mosquito magnets to be very effective.

It is a serious blower that also comes very handy in Virginia for leaves - it is professional level. What is good is that it can spray high into the trees and under the leaves where mosquitoes like to hide during the day. The downside is the cost and it gets heavy when filled and spraying first started.

You could have a service like mosquito squad provide a one time service to see if it makes a difference before you invest in the equipment and DIYing what they do.

Using Bifen XTS might have a bit more residual in rains as it is oil based.

good Luck, I hate Mosquitoes!

I just want to inject this information to y'all- Bifenthriin is VERY TOXIC to bees.

Bees are under threat from so many chemicals in use, and their populations are shrinking rapidly for unknown reasons too.

Without bees we have no food.

Please consider carefully the chemicals you choose to use.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: HeyEng
We use a thermocell around the yard and it does a pretty good job of keeping the mosquitoes away. Also have one of those UV bug zapper lamps that works great. During the bad months, I have to clean it off daily cuz its covered in mosquitoes and other flying pests. Never seen a bee on it, so guess it doesn't bother them.

I used to live in Boston before moving to AZ and mosquitoes are my mortal enemy!! I tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked until I found DynaTrap! I bought the one for 1 acre and it worked fantastic. We could sit on our deck all evening and not one bite, where as before, we used to have to zip up the screens on our gazebo.
It takes about 2 weeks for it to break the cycle of the bugs being able to mate, then it just works. It runs 24/7 and in only uses about 5 bucks a month in electricity. Do your research and shop around online, you can get one at a decent price. The only thing that needs to be done for maintenance is emptying the basket ( which is weekly as you’ll be amazed how quickly it fills up), and changing the lamps every 5 thousand hours. (Every 4 months or so)
Pic one is the unit, and pic two is it in my backyard by the tree line approximately 30 feet from my deck.

~Rob

Attachments

• 9BFE0E8A-6E84-4D49-BBA4-D6DBBF974074.jpg
    9BFE0E8A-6E84-4D49-BBA4-D6DBBF974074.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 588
  • 1349DD07-DAF0-42DB-B571-10D51F5244E2.jpg
    1349DD07-DAF0-42DB-B571-10D51F5244E2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 595
We use Mosquito Barrier here in NC with good results. The yard smells like an Italian eatery for a few hours, but it is worth it for the results. Just fill the sprayer and go to it every 3 weeks or so (depends on amount of rain). This year we are adding in mosquito granules which you spread in areas where water might/does collect. We have wetlands behind us and a creek to one side so when it rains, both areas fill with water and I'm sure pockets of water remain that we can't see. I'm going to broadcast the granules through the woods, along the creek and wetlands to kill the mosquito larvae. "Mosquito Bits" by Summit is what they are called.

We have Lavender, Marigolds, Citronella Grass, Catnip and Rosemary in various pots on the patio area with ceiling fans going. It seems to help if you pinch the leaves on a few of the plants to extract a scent. I also spry listerine out by the pool area. I may try the Bifen this year.

I have a Mistaway system and it is awesome. My backyard was a feasting ground for all kinds of mosquito's, noseeums, that would eat me alive. The mistaway system has brought the numbers down to basically zero in my backyard, while my neighbors have many as there's a lot of water and woods here. It cost about $30/month in chemicals that is well worth it to be able to actually go outside at anytime during the day or night.

I just want to inject this information to y'all- Bifenthriin is VERY TOXIC to bees.

Bees are under threat from so many chemicals in use, and their populations are shrinking rapidly for unknown reasons too.

Without bees we have no food.

Please consider carefully the chemicals you choose to use.

Maddie :flower:

I agree, it is always a dilemma on what to do. We love bees but also want to enjoy outdoor areas. I am using a company this year. They use mostly oils and other stuff - sorry i forgot the exact components - but application person said it wont harm pets and my garden.

I am trying to eliminate ticks, fleas and mosquitos. I also have citronella candles and those electric zapper machines.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree, it is always a dilemma on what to do. We love bees but also want to enjoy outdoor areas. I am using a company this year. They use mostly oils and other stuff - sorry i forgot the exact components - but application person said it wont harm pets and my garden.

I am trying to eliminate ticks, fleas and mosquitos. I also have citronella candles and those electric zapper machines.

I applied Bifenthrin XTS this weekend using a Chapin hose sprayer... it was ridiculously easy. Someone posted a good mixture (around 11oz water, rest Bifen XTS), just gear up (mask,glasses,long sleeves) and go to town. Took me MAX 20 minutes. I had it on 2 TBs per gal of water, i'll check results but I might kick it up to stronger levels. I had a ton leftover. From everything I could find on Bifen, it is incredibly safe for humans and animals, just not fish and bugs.

I have very little flowering plants in my backyard and very little bees. I was nervous it would kill the butterflies but they seem relatively unharmed. I tried my best not to spray what flowering plants I do have. Sprayed my fences and grass and pergola like crazy.

Hornet and wasp season has just started here. Also got some yellow-jackets. Any advice for getting rid of them? I was going to use the wasp/hornet Raid but I hate to spray that around where people are going to gather. If they get out of control I will be forced to call an exterminator. TIA!

I used to live in Boston before moving to AZ and mosquitoes are my mortal enemy!! I tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked until I found DynaTrap! I bought the one for 1 acre and it worked fantastic. We could sit on our deck all evening and not one bite, where as before, we used to have to zip up the screens on our gazebo.
It takes about 2 weeks for it to break the cycle of the bugs being able to mate, then it just works. It runs 24/7 and in only uses about 5 bucks a month in electricity. Do your research and shop around online, you can get one at a decent price. The only thing that needs to be done for maintenance is emptying the basket ( which is weekly as you’ll be amazed how quickly it fills up), and changing the lamps every 5 thousand hours. (Every 4 months or so)
Pic one is the unit, and pic two is it in my backyard by the tree line approximately 30 feet from my deck.

~Rob
Another plug for Dynatrap! I love mine and would not be without it. You do have to make sure to change the bulbs as they do wear out.

Another vote for Cutter backyard spray: https://www.amazon.com/Cutter-Backyard-Control-Concentrate-HG-61067/dp/B000PGE032

We've used this for the past few years and the number of mosquito is either none existent, or greatly reduced. They say it lasts for six weeks, and I agree. At about the six week mark, we start noticing mosquitos so we spray again. You can check the Amazon reviews (4.0 stars; 500+ reviews)... seems to be effective.

I really don't like spraying stuff like this because I have children, but mosquito are the most deadly animal in the world, and it kills deer ticks.

Thanks...

Another vote for Cutter backyard spray: https://www.amazon.com/Cutter-Backyard-Control-Concentrate-HG-61067/dp/B000PGE032

We've used this for the past few years and the number of mosquito is either none existent, or greatly reduced. They say it lasts for six weeks, and I agree. At about the six week mark, we start noticing mosquitos so we spray again. You can check the Amazon reviews (4.0 stars; 500+ reviews)... seems to be effective.

I really don't like spraying stuff like this because I have children, but mosquito are the most deadly animal in the world, and it kills deer ticks.

Hornet and wasp season has just started here. Also got some yellow-jackets. Any advice for getting rid of them? I was going to use the wasp/hornet Raid but I hate to spray that around where people are going to gather. If they get out of control I will be forced to call an exterminator. TIA!

See my Jerks with Wings thread in Above Ground Pools!

Based on posts from a few folks in this thread recommending Dynatrap, I got the 2000XL version a week and half ago and surprisingly it seems to be working so far as I’ve noticed less mosquitos here in Houston. Not sure if it’s coincidence but time will tell especially after a rain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.