Help choosing replacement pump

Aug 6, 2016
Cincinnati, Oh
Our current pump, a pentair pinnacle 1.5hp, is sacked. It's noisy and started leaking in August. I'm not interested in rebuilding it any more.

I would like to replace it with another single speed pump for the following reasons:
we chlorinate with a liquidator and I have read that variable speed pumps do not work well with a liquidator.
I run the pump 4 hours throughout the night then 1 hour mid day, this works well for us.
our electricity is inexpensive and the pool is open 5 months a year.

Given our pool size, is 1.5hp the right size or should I consider going up or down?

With all of this in mind, what are the recommended pumps? I would be willing to spend more for durability but unless there is a compelling reason to go multi speed I'd prefer to focus suggestions on single speed.

Many thanks in advance.

Based on your existing system, a Pentair SuperFlo or WhisperFlo will work for you and dropping to 1 HP should be fine (the WhisperFlo puts out a few more GPMs)
I am assuming there is no cleaner or water features in the pool driven by the main pump. At this point all my pools are running on 1 HP or less, unless it is a spa combo.

Hi Phillijp,

Based on your pool size I think a 1 HP would be fine. I personally like the PL2601 1 HP PureLine Prime Pump. I like this pump because it has a Century/AO Smith motor which we have found to be the most reliable motor, the pump comes with quick disconnect unions and large 2" plumbing ports (if you have 1.5" plumbing then a simple 1.5" x 2" bushing can be used, a few dollars each). This pump is at a really good price point of $299.

Thanks to both replies, I will investigate these pumps and today I spent some time looking at the Hayward maxflo 2 also under $300. Any thoughts on Hayward?

I forgot to mention that probably next spring I'll add a solar heater to the roof directly above the area (enclosed) where our pool equipment is kept. Will 1hp still handle the work or???

Our pump finally died, I was hoping it would get us through the season but that is not the case. With the idea of a solar heater in our future I'm looking at the WhisperFlo 1.5 as a replacement. What is the difference between "Full Rated" and "Up Rated"? It looks like performance curves are different and I think the "Up Rated" pump performs like the next size higher pump, correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.