Aquapure 1400 "No Flow" with new VSP pump

hillyjd

Sep 25, 2009
Tucson AZ
I just finished installing a new VSP pool pump, replacing my old single speed Hayward 1.5 HP with a Hayward 1.65 THP VSP. Install went fine, except my Aquapure now shows shows solid "No Flow" on display panel, even at max pump RPM (3450). Interestingly enough, the Sensor Flow indicator (that little box that hangs below the Aquapure control box) has a green "flow" light. One other thing I noticed is that the pressure gauge on my sand filter is about 4 psi lower than what it normally read with my old single speed pump. Everything I read before swapping the pumps was that the Aquapure flow should be fine well below the max setting. The install itself was pretty much a drop in. I used almost all the old fittings during the replacement. I did replace the wiring because the connections for the new pump are not in the same location, so I needed a longer wire run, but other that that, it was a straight swap out. When I first got the No Flow error, I did thoroughly clean the SWG cell, which had a lot of calcium buildup, and cleaned the sensor as well. Made no difference. No flow on SWG control panel display, green flow light on flow indicator. Sensor seems to be working fine - temperature and salinity measurements are within expected limits. Only other curiosity is that the my Aqualink control panel does not display any Aquapure info, like it doesn't even think it's powered up, but it is. I guess that could be because of the no flow error. What am I missing?

I just finished installing a new VSP pool pump, replacing my old single speed Hayward 1.5 HP with a Hayward 1.65 THP VSP. Install went fine, except my Aquapure now shows shows solid "No Flow" on display panel, even at max pump RPM (3450). Interestingly enough, the Sensor Flow indicator (that little box that hangs below the Aquapure control box) has a green "flow" light. One other thing I noticed is that the pressure gauge on my sand filter is about 4 psi lower than what it normally read with my old single speed pump. Everything I read before swapping the pumps was that the Aquapure flow should be fine well below the max setting. The install itself was pretty much a drop in. I used almost all the old fittings during the replacement. I did replace the wiring because the connections for the new pump are not in the same location, so I needed a longer wire run, but other that that, it was a straight swap out. When I first got the No Flow error, I did thoroughly clean the SWG cell, which had a lot of calcium buildup, and cleaned the sensor as well. Made no difference. No flow on SWG control panel display, green flow light on flow indicator. Sensor seems to be working fine - temperature and salinity measurements are within expected limits. Only other curiosity is that the my Aqualink control panel does not display any Aquapure info, like it doesn't even think it's powered up, but it is. I guess that could be because of the no flow error. What am I missing?

What wire did you change out ? power? something else?

What wire did you change out ? power? something else?

Have you rechecked all the wiring for the SWG to insure nothing got disturbed?

Have you gone through the troubleshooting for this symptom on page 31 of the install manual
https://images.inyopools.com/cloud/documents/jandy-sanitizers-aquapure.pdf

I touched no wiring or anything else related to the SWG. The only wiring I replaced was the power wiring to the pump. The two hot wires and the ground. I'm getting convinced there's some sort of blockage, possibly in the sand filter. The reason I say that is when I got up this morning, I checked the pump. I had it set to 1750 RPM for overnight. This morning there's barely any water moving through the pump. When I installed the pump, I had checked to make sure that setting had flow, and it seemed to be fine. It's like over time, the amount of water decreased going through the pump. I'm going to back flush that right now and see if anything changes.

OBTW, the Aqualink controller now does "see" the SWG. The chlorine setting was set to 0% - once I raised that, the controller started reporting the status of the SWG and the "Check Aquapure" error came on. So that part is working, just not the flow.

Update - I backwashed the sand filter. No change in pressure readings. I did notice that there seemed to be much less flow out of the discharge hose than with the old pump. Let it flush for 4-5 minutes. Then I measured the voltage at the pump - 245V. A little higher than I was expecting, but it's definitely not the problem with low flow.

Well, I just got off the phone with Hayward Tech Support, who told me that the Hayward MaxFlo VSP pump I put in only has a max flow rate of 59 gal/min and that my old Hayward Super II puts out 120 gal/min. So essentially he's telling me that the new pump is way undersized for what I need. I thought the MaxFlo VSP was a drop in replacement for the Super II, but apparently I'm mistaken.

Well, I just got off the phone with Hayward Tech Support, who told me that the Hayward MaxFlo VSP pump I put in only has a max flow rate of 59 gal/min and that my old Hayward Super II puts out 120 gal/min. So essentially he's telling me that the new pump is way undersized for what I need. I thought the MaxFlo VSP was a drop in replacement for the Super II, but apparently I'm mistaken.
The MaxFlo will produce less flow rate than your old pump but that shouldn't matter for just circulation and filtering. I have a 1/2 HP pump on a 20k pool that I run on low speed most the time and it works just fine.

However, it may not be big enough for your In-Floor cleaner. That usually requires high pressure and flow rates (i.e. very large pumps). Does the cleaner work ok?

As for the SWG, I suspect during the change out something may have happened to the flow sensor or cable for the flow sensor. Have you tried power cycling the entire unit?

The in-floor jets pop up even at fairly low speeds, but there's clearly reduced flow coming out of the jets. I put my hand in front of a nozzle while the pump was at high speed and there was decent flow out of the jet, but it sure felt like less than with the old pump. But that's a very qualitative measure. I think the telling thing is the pressure gauge on my sand filter. At max RPM, it's at 16 psi; with the old pump it was at least 20 psi all the time. So that's a 25% drop in pressure. When I drop the RPM to 2500 on the new pump, the gauge reads 8 psi, a 60% drop in pressure. That's consistent with the flow specs of the two pumps. According to Hayward, the 1.5 HP Super II model I have puts out 89 GPM at 40'. The VSP at the same 40' and max RPM puts out 59 GPM, exactly 1/3 less. At 3000 RPM (87% of max), the flow rate is 27 GPM; 2/3 less than the Super II. The table doesn't even have a listing at 40' below 3000 RPM.

So I'm pretty sure I'm getting the design flow rate out of the pump, it's just A LOT less than I was expecting for the same HP, RPM, and pipe size. It looks like the Hayward EcoStar VSP has adequate flow specs (100 GPM at 80% RPM); I may try to go that route. I contacted the company I bought the new pump from (Pools 4 Less). They will not accept a return of a pump that's already been installed, but they said that they would "work with me" if I decide to buy a different pump from them. Remains to be seen what that really means.

As for the Aquapure flow sensor, I have tried everything I can think of to check it. It has been power cycled multiple times. The sensor was removed and cleaned yesterday. As I mentioned earlier, the temp and salinity readings are accurate. It is odd that the flow indicator module has a green flow light, but the SWG control box says no flow. I am seriously thinking about putting my old pump back in; if everything returns to normal, than I think I've got my answer.

The in-floor jets pop up even at fairly low speeds, but there's clearly reduced flow coming out of the jets. I put my hand in front of a nozzle while the pump was at high speed and there was decent flow out of the jet, but it sure felt like less than with the old pump. But that's a very qualitative measure. I think the telling thing is the pressure gauge on my sand filter. At max RPM, it's at 16 psi; with the old pump it was at least 20 psi all the time. So that's a 25% drop in pressure. When I drop the RPM to 2500 on the new pump, the gauge reads 8 psi, a 60% drop in pressure. That's consistent with the flow specs of the two pumps. According to Hayward, the 1.5 HP Super II model I have puts out 89 GPM at 40'. The VSP at the same 40' and max RPM puts out 59 GPM, exactly 1/3 less. At 3000 RPM (87% of max), the flow rate is 27 GPM; 2/3 less than the Super II. The table doesn't even have a listing at 40' below 3000 RPM.
All that is normal but keep in mind the head loss and pressure change with flow rate. In fact, they are proportional to the flow rate squared. So at lower RPM, the head loss in the plumbing is much lower.

But I still do not understand why you think you need that much more flow rate. High flow rates = high energy costs. This is why most VS pump owners operate as low as they can to save on energy costs. If you had a spa or your in-floors were not working properly, I guess I would understand but for filtering and circulation, lower is better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Most likely, the trisensor plug or the 4 wire plug from the aquapure to the aqualink is loose.

Turn off power and check all connections. Disconnect and reconnect all 3 connectors.

My flow switch on my SWG (FusionSoft) will close even if I put my VS pump at it's lowest of 600rpms. Something is wrong with your flow switch or the wiring.

Well, I sure feel like an idiot this morning (at least a little bit). I decided to try all your recommendations. Cleaned and reseated the flow connector plugs in the SWG control box. Checked everything else I could think of. Powered up the new pump, still get the "no flow". So I say "that's it" and take the new pump out and put the old pump back in. Fire up the old pump. The good news, the sand filter pressure is back up at 20 psi. The bad news - STILL have the no flow error on the SWG. Suddenly, I realize - we replaced the old Aquapure control panel earlier this year with the new APUREM control panel and that panel requires that Flow Indicator Module to be set to Program A. The old panel required Program B. Switched the module to Program A and "Eureka" - no flow error goes away! The reason I don't feel like a complete idiot is that when I first noticed the "No Flow" with the new pump, the module was set to Program A. Forgetting that I had replaced the SWG control panel, I switched it to Program B and it's been on B ever since. So I still have at least one data point that the new pump with Program A that says there's not enough flow. Combine that with the significantly lower filter pressure at max RPM and the fact that the new pump cannot maintain flow below 2500 RPM and I'm still convinced I need a more powerful VSP.

I'd like to thank everybody that contributed to this thread. I'll continue to update it as I learn more.

After spending the weekend out of town, came back yesterday to find the pool pump off. This is the old pump that I reinstalled after deciding the new pump was under-powered. When we left Friday, the old pump was working fine. It was too late yesterday to do anything other than check the breakers and measure the voltage at the pump and at the relay. No breakers were tripped. The voltage at the motor and the voltage at the relay in the control box showed 0.0 V. This morning I cycled all the breakers and there is still no voltage at the relay for that circuit. I can hear the relay click when that pump is turned on, but nothing happens. Any suggestions?

Update - just went out and measured the DC voltage at the relays. The two relays that are activated (filter pump and water feature) both read -34 VDC, not the -24 VDC that I was expecting. Not sure if that matters, just info at the moment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.