Pentair IC20 Low Salt + New Stenner

Feb 25, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
Hi All,

Long story short within the past 4 days I have seen the salt level read from the IC drop from 3750 (read relatively consistently for 2 months) to 2750 (-1000ppm). My Aquacheck test strips (not expired) read at about 6.4 or 3290ppm. I'm wondering if the acid injection may have impacted my SWG.

About two months ago I installed a Stenner 85MHP17 for acid injection *AFTER* the heater check valve and *BEFORE* the IC20 (like the IntelliPH would have been installed). When I installed the Stenner I also cleaned my IC20. I have since been running the Stenner with a 3:1 dilution of 31%MA out of a 5g container for about 5 to 7 minutes per day. The flow rate while the stenner is running is about 35gpm based on reading my FlowVis. I check my chemicals around every 3 to 4 days and have maintained 7.5 to 7.7PH for the past two months.

My pool temp was pretty warm (being summer with the solr heating) at 85 but has recently trailed off to 79 degrees at the peak during the ay lately (October is when I start to see the solar be less effective). My CH has always tended to be on the high side at about 500ppm.

Last full set

10/11/2017 7:30AM
79 degrees
PH 7.5
FC 7.5
CC 0
CYA 70
TA 70
CH 500
IC 3750 ppm salt
Borates 0

10/14/17 9:00AM
74 degrees
PH 7.5
FC 8
CC 0
IC 2750 ppm salt
AquaCheck 3290

I pulled the IC off and DID notice some calcium buildup (not significant but certainly some) on the plates but didn't have any spare acid on hand to do an acid clean. I found this a little odd since before the Stenner was installed I hadn't done an acid cleaning and didn't have this much calcium buildup. I would usually let the PH rise to 7.8 then drop it down to 7.4 or 7.5 (sometimes 7.2 if I was trying to get my TA down which does have a tendency to rise over time). If anything I would have expected the Stenner to be cleaning off the cell and maintaining way better PH which would have prevented the scaling.

I plan on doing an acid wash on the cell but my initial thought when I saw the reading was that running the stenner for 7 minutes was too long possibly and may have damaged the IC (I really doubted this since 35gpm seems like a lot of flow relative to the 3:1 diluted 1.5ounces per minute). Then when I opened the cell and found some calcium I was even more confused because I was expecting it to be pristine.

Any thoughts?
* Is 7 minutes too long? Should I break it up like 3 minutes the first hour then 3 minutes another hour and 1 minute another hour?
* Calcium deposits on SWG after installing a stenner?

* Another note I'll make is that I have been turning the IC down since 9/25 (I usually need to run it at 100% for the 8 hours of runtime during the summer months and then drop it pretty dramatically during the winter). Since 9/25 I have dropped it to 60%.

Thanks!

It could be a bad temperature sensor. Go to diagnostics in EasyTouch and see what that shows. Then, check what the cell temperature reading is.

"Pressing and holding the “More” button launches the System Status Mode. When the lights finish scrolling, the percent lights indicate hours of usage in 1,000s. For example, if the 40% light lights, that indicates 4,000 hours.

Version 3.1 on adds the ability to determine system temperature. Pressing the “More” button after the display shows 1,000s of hours of usage, will show temperature as follows:

Lights…………….....………Temperature
No LEDs………….…..………Below 30F
40%..........................36 to 45F
40% and 60%............46 to 55F
60%..........................56 to 65F
60% and 80%............66 to 75F
80%.........................76 to 85F
80 and 100%............86 to 95F
100%.......................96 to 99F
100% blinking……..….over 99F
All LEDs blinking……...Sensor bad "

I have an Intellitouch not the EasyTouch so I don't think I have the diagnostics ability like the EasyTouch does.

Hmmm. Not sure if I'm reading it correctly but when I enter status mode I see a whole bunch of lights go through their cycle but on the bottom I have no lights lit (for hours of usage). Considering the cell is relatively new (just over a year old) and I only run it 8 hours in the summer and decrease it to about 3 hours in the winter I'm guessing I'm under 2k hours of usage.

Anyhow, I pushed the more button again as you indicated and I can see only the 100% light blinking which seems to indicate over 99F. It was running off the Solar on the roof so over 99F actually made sense. I did, however, also turn the Solar off and tried again after a few minutes (even turned it off and back on completely so that it would re-read the salinity) and after doing that it still read over 99F which doesn't make sense since the water should be about 75F according to the other water temp sensor. Not sure if it uses some window to re-read the temperature only once every X hours which is why I still saw over 99F.

I replaced the flow sensor in about March (under warranty) when that went bad and wasn't reading flow and my understanding is that these are a combination (temp + flow). Seems strange that this would have gone bad again... Any chance this could be related to the 7 minutes of diluted 3:1 on the Stenner? Does acid affect these sensors? I haven't seen anybody say whether they break up their acid injections over time instead of doing it in one blast. Considering my pool is small and I don't need that much acid/day I would still think that I'm not pushing it that far.

The original flow sensor went bad before I even had the Stenner installed.

I suspect that the temperature sensor is bad. You can measure the resistance and compare it to a 10k thermistor chart.

At 77 Fahrenheit, the resistance should be 10,000 ohms.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.