Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Switching to SWG. Need advice.

1. Back To Top    #1

Switching to SWG. Need advice.

I've ordered an Intex SWG which will arrive on Monday. I wanted to add the salt on Sunday to be ready to run the SWG when it gets here. I have an Intex 4300 gallon pool. I'm going to Leslie's this morning to get salt test strips. Should I only be concerned with the salt level so that I know how many lbs. of salt to add? Do my current FC and Ph readings have any bearing on how much salt to add?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Intex 12x20 4300 gallon vinyl
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter "B" pump
    TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Switching to SWG. Need advice.

No, the other chemistry doesn't matter, only the salt. You can add it now if you want.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, you only need be concerned about whatever salt is in the pool already. FC, pH, TA have no effect on your salt reading.

I would recommend adding a bit less than the calculated amount and let it dissolve, and check again. You can always add more salt to increase your salt level, but to reduce it, you have to drain water.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

4. Back To Top    #4

What's your CYA level- you might need to pick up some CYA if you don't have any on hand - you want your level to be 70-80 for an SWG.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

OMW to Leslie's now. Will get salt test kit and CYA. My CYA was only at 20 last weekend and I've been floating dichlor pucks so I assume it has risen some. I will post my test results before adding anything to the pool.

Thanks,
    Joe
    TF100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Test results with TF100:

FC-9
    CC-.5
    TC-9.5
    pH-7.4
    T/A-140
    CH-470
    CYA-32

The instructions on Leslie's stabilizer recommends 2.5 pounds per 10,000 gallons brings up CYA 30ppm. I figure if I add 2 pounds I'll be in the 70+ range.

Salt measures 370 ppm. How many pounds of salt will I need to be in the 3000 range. I guess I can add the salt today to give it 3 days to mix well until the SWG shows up on Monday? Swimming in it will be fine for the weekend, I assume. I'll add the stabilizer in a stocking in the skimmer tonight and run the pump.

Do I have everything about right? TFP is an amazing resource. Thank you all!

-Joe
    TF100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Do you know how to use the Pool Calculator? That's too much CYA...
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

8. Back To Top    #8

Doi..forgot about the pool calc. It says to add 22-23 oz. of stabilizer to reach my goal of 70. 99 lbs. of salt to go from 320 ppm to 3000 ppm.

Thanks, Joe
    TF100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok...I'm slowly dialing things in before turning on the SWG tomorrow. Salt is good at 3100ppm. My CYA is up to 50 after adding the recommended amount of stabilizer. Will that continue to rise since I just added it last night or is more stabilizer needed now to reach 70-80? It completely dissolved from the stocking in the skimmer and I ran the pump all night.

The other concern is my T/A which reads 130 this morning. Pool school says I need to be at 60-90 and says it's "This is IMPORTANT". The calculator says "To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH. Note: Adding baking soda will also raise your pH." If I read that correctly, since my pH is currently at 7.2, I need to add baking soda to increase pH and it will decrease my T/A. Is that correct?

Thanks,
    Joe
    TF100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Lowering TA takes a while, and it isn't critical that it be right before the SWG is turned on. TA above the recommended levels will tend to cause the PH to rise. As long as your TA is high you need to keep an eye on your PH and make sure it doesn't get too high.

Basking soda will increase TA! If you have to raise your PH, use borax. Neither of those are what you want right now. You should follow the directions on lowering TA at Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School