Algae but not losing FC.

dccase

May 15, 2017
Southern Indiana
This is my first year with a pool and luckily I saw this website and joined the club. Anyway I have been fighting this algae. Earlier on this summer I let the fc get down to 2 and it started to algae. I slammed it and cleaned it up and back to normal. About a month ago I think the pool got an overload of algae or something from putting the cover on that was off for a couple weeks as it was warm out. Plus I wasn't running the pump enough. So I slammed. The strange thing is i had been using about a half gallon of 10% bleach every other day before the slam and it always had a bit of CC and the pool was perfect. Now it is closer to a gal a week if that. I thought this is great I must had got a good kill and this was the new norm. Fc barely dropped and no CC until recently. Well maybe not.. it was pretty good but not perfect then we got a heavy rain that washed the solar cover pretty good and this showed up. I will need to slam again of course but is it strange that it is burning very little chlorine and the filter isn't building much pressure from algae? The FC has been kept around 7 and never went below 4. Is this regular algae or a mustard that needs a higher dose. All the black blotches on the bottom are leaves not algae.

Currently
FC 7
CC less than .5 (barley turns pink)
ph 7.3
TA 90
ch 125
cya 40

Attachments

• IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1065.jpg
    IMG_1065.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 59
First and foremost, WELCOME TO TFP!!!!

The last week or two, how often have you been brushing the pool?? It looks like if you’d increase the FC to SLAM levels and give the Pool a good brush for a day or two it’ll go away very quick.

I'm sure I can get rid of it. Just curious on how much chlorine I should be going through. It is barley using any now compared to what I was earlier. Also Should 7 be enough to hold it off or is this normal if it gets a heavy load from something. I plan to flip the cover to kill both sides this time. I gave it a good brushing and usually a vac weekly and again today. I was short on time during the week to brush.

This time of the year you likely won’t see much FC loss as the temps are lower and the sun isn’t as “strong.” It wouldn’t shock me to see a 1ppm FC loss per day. A level of 7ppm is high enough once you kill all the green you’re seeing now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.